Pioneers Take on In-State Rival Quinnipiac Saturday
Setting the Scene... No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup Saturday as the defending Northeast Conference Champions, the Sacred Heart Pioneers, face off with in-state rivals, and the NEC's preseason favorite, Quinnipic Bobcats. The Pioneers are coming off a 61-47 win over LIU Brooklyn, which featured a second half, 17-0 run. The Bobcats are on a three game losing streak after dropping a game to Georgia Tech 74-57 in late December.
Series Notes... This is the 60th time in program history the Pioneers have played Quinnipiac
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 34-25, which dates all the way back to February 26, 1976
- Since joining the NCAA Division I Ranks, Sacred Heart is 19-9 against the Bobcats
- Quinnipiac led the Division II series 15-16
- Head Coach Ed Swanson is 23-11 in his career against Quinnipiac since taking over the reigns in 1990
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 195-97 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 15-3 last season against the NEC, including three tournament wins en route to their third NEC Championship
- Sacred Heart only lost to Quinnipiac, Monmouth and LIU Brooklyn last year
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Central Connecticut State 26-12, Fairleigh Dickinson 22-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-12, Monmouth 17-11, Mount St. Mary's 22-4, Quinnipiac 34-25, Robert Morris 17-7, Saint Francis (PA) 13-8, St. Francis Brooklyn 21-9 and Wagner 18-8
Last Season Against the Bobcat...Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac each collected a win over the other last year. In early conference play on December 5, the Pioneers topped QU 74-65 in the TD Bank Sports Center. Later in the season, the Bobcats handed Sacred Heart their worst loss ever in the William H. Pitt Center, 71-34, and the only time all year, SHU was held to less than 40 points.
Doubled Up... In Monday's 61-47 win over LIU Brooklyn, senior Morgan Merriman collected the second double-double of her career, posting the game-leading 20 points while pulling down 10 boards. The small forward shot 61.5% from the field, knocking down eight of her 13 shots. Merriman only shot 50% from the line, making four of eight foul shots.
Shooter's Streak... Gabrielle Washington, the reigning Northeast Conference Rookie of the Year, leads the team averaging 16.5 points per game. The sophomore combined for 26 points last weekend with 13 against St. Francis Broklyn and 12 against LIU Brooklyn. She has reached double-digit scoring in every game so far this year, making her current streak 20 games with at least 10 points, dating back to February 25, 2012 when she notched 25 points against Saint Francis U at home.