Sacred Heart Opens Home Stand on Sunday Against Siena
SACRED HEART (6-4) VS. SIENA (4-6)
Game 11 * Sunday, December 30, 2012 * 1:00 pm * William H. Pitt Center
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart women's basketball team returns to the William H. Pitt Center to host the Siena Saints on Sunday, December 30th. The Pioneers return to action after a 73-63 win at Lehigh back on December 20th. Senior Kiley Evans scored a career-high 29 points to lead the Pioneers past the Mountain Hawks. The Siena Saints come in off a 57-51 win on Friday night at UMass. The Saints are coached by first year head coach Ali Jaques, a former assistant coach at Sacred Heart under head coach Ed Swanson. Jaques was on the SHU campus from 1999-2002 as the Pioneers made the leap to Division I.
Series Notes... This is the fourth time in program history the Pioneers have faced off against Siena
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series 2-1
- SHU has won the only game they played at home against Siena in 2010-11
- Last year, SHU opened the season with a win at Siena 62-45
- Sacred Heart is 2-0 this year against the MAAC, holding both opponents to less than 40 points, as they topped Saint Peter's 79-34 in the home opener and Manhattan 55-38.
- The Pioneers went 2-1 last year against the MAAC. They opened the season with a win over Siena 62-45. Later in the season they topped Saint Peter's 80-55 and fell to Manhattan 62-50.
- The only MAAC teams Sacred Heart has a winning record against are Rider and Saint Peter's
- SHU has faced Manhattan (2-3), Fairfield (5-9), Iona (2-5), Rider (2-0), Saint Peter's (5-4), and Siena (2-1). They have not played against Canisus, Loyola, Marist or Niagara.