FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart University men's volleyball team fell 3-0 to EIVA leader George Mason University Saturday afternoon at the Pitt Center.
Mason hit .346 for the match, with only 10 errors all afternoon. Kyle Barnes led the team with 14 kills, while Hayden Wagner hit .539 with 10 kills. He also added nine digs in the contest.
Emerson Waumans had seven kills for the Pioneers. Josh Ayzenberg led the team with eight digs, while Black Cox added five digs and thee kills. SHU hit .233 in the third set.
SHU returns home on March 22, for its next match, hosting Alderson Broudous at 7 p.m. on Coach Bike Court.
Mason 10-7; 6-0 EIVA
SHU 2-10; 0-7 EIVA
First Set: Mason, 25-12
- A solo block by Hayden Wagner put Mason in front, 3-2, a lead it wouldn't relinquish
- The Pioneers knotted the score 4-4 on a Mason hitting error, but the Patriots responded with four straight points to take an 8-4 advantage and force a SHU timeout
- The Patriots tallied the first three points out of the timeout, to build the lead to 11-4, before a Cox kill ended the run
- The run extended to 13-4, before a Tayler Bloomquist solo block, paused it momentarily
- Mason outscored SHU 8-3 after that block for the set victory, hitting .400 for
Second Set: Mason, 25-13
- Back-to-back Mason blocks opened the set, as the Patriots jumped out to a 4-0 lead
- The Patriots hit .750 over the early portion of the match, stretching its lead to 10-2 and a SHU timeout
- After falling behind by eight, 12-4, SHU scored four of the next six points, to get back within six, 14-8
- Mason did not let the Pioneers that close the rest of the way, scoring 11 of the final 16 points for the win
- The Patriots hit .526, with 11 kills and only one error, in the set
Third Set: Mason 25-22
- Mason scored the first four points, before a service error gave SHU a point
- The next point saw Cox and McLaughlin block back-to-back attempts as the Pioneers rallied back within a point, 4-3
- SHU closed to a one-point deficit three times, the last at 6-5, but could never gain the equalizer
- SHU remained in touch, never trailing by more than five, and closing to within two, at 15-13
- Consecutive points for Mason made it 17-13 and led to a Pioneer timeout
- A Patriot service error, was followed by a Noah Ricchetti block and a Mason hitting error, as SHU closed within a point once again, 17-16
- Hayden Wagner's kill on the next point again fended off the tie as Mason extended its least to 19-16
- The Pioneers charged again, closing to 19-18, but a kill by Christian Malias fended them off once again and the Patriots pulled to a 24-19 advantage
- SHU fended off three match points, before falling, 25-22