Pioneers Swept At Fort Wayne
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Sacred Heart men's volleyball team moved to 0-2 on the 2018 season after a 3-0 (20-25, 23-25, 17-25) loss to the Fort Wayne Mastodons at Arnie Ball Court Saturday night.
Sacred Heart – 0-2
Fort Wayne – 6-0
Set 1: Fort Wayne 25-20
- Sparked by kills from Tomas Gago and Tony Price, Fort Wayne went on a 6-2 run to take a 12-10 lead.
- The Mastodons took a four-point lead at 19-15 on an ace by Pelegrin Vargas, prompting a Pioneers timeout.
- SHU only got as close as three the rest of the way, as a Richie Diedrich kill gave Fort Wayne the set 25-20.
Set 2: Fort Wayne 25-23
- The Mastodons broke a 5-5 tie with kills from Diedrich and Colton Stone, as well as a block by Price and Diedrich, to take an 8-5 lead.
- SHU got within one at 9-8 on a kill by Shawn Tischler, but Fort Wayne won three of the next four points to go up 12-9.
- A Taylor Bloomquist kill started a 3-0 run for SHU that tied the set at 14-14.
- Fort Wayne used a 3-0 run of its own to break a 20-20 tie, with a block by Price, Stone, and Gago giving the Mastodons a 23-20 lead.
- The Mastodons took the set on a SHU service error, going up two sets with a 25-23 win.
Set 3: Fort Wayne 25-17
- Fort Wayne jumped out to a 5-2 lead on back-to-back kills by Stone.
- The Mastodons extended the lead to 9-4 on a 4-0 run capped by a block by Diedrich and Michael Keegan.
- SHU got within three at 12-9 on kills by Tischler and Chatterton.
- Fort Wayne took its largest lead of the set at 23-15 on a Vargas kill. The two sides traded points the rest of the way.
Key Stats and Notes
- Waumans led SHU with 11 kills, hitting .273 for the match.
- Chatterton hit .357 with nine kills.
- The Mastodons hit .390 for the match, holding the Pioneers to .227.
- Vargas led all players with 12 kills.
SHU hosts Lindenwood in its home opener on Friday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m.