MUNCIE, Ind. – The Sacred Heart men's volleyball team rallied from two sets down to force a fifth set at Worthen Arena Friday night against the #15 Ball State Cardinals, but the Pioneers hit just .048 in the final set to take the loss in its season opener 3-2 (13-25, 16-25, 27-25, 25-21, 7-15).
Set 1: Ball State 25-13
- A Ben Chinnici kill sparked a 6-0 Ball State run that put the Cardinals ahead 9-5.
- After the Pioneers took four of the next five points to get within one at 10-9, Ball State went on another 6-0 run to take a 16-9 lead.
- Chinnici's fourth kill of the set clinched it for the Cardinals 25-13.
Set 2: Ball State 25-16
- The Cardinals ran out to a 5-2 lead on kills by Parker Swartz, Matt Walsh, and Mitch Weiler.
- Two kills from Waumans got the Pioneers within two, 7-5.
- Ahead 13-9, Ball State ran off three straight points to take a 16-9 lead, its largest of the set to that point.
- The Cardinals recorded blocks on back-to-back points to close the set.
Set 3: SHU 27-25
- SHU took the first three points of the set, highlighted by a block by Cox and Rob Chatterton. After Ball State closed the gap to one at 7-6, a Chatterton kill and Tischler solo block gave the Pioneers a 9-6 advantage.
- Ball State ran off four straight points to take a 10-9 lead, prompting a SHU timeout.
- The Cardinals led for a majority of the set, earning match point at 24-21 on a SHU error. SHU fought off all three match points, as a block by Tischler, Chatterton, and Tyler Lee tied the set 24-24.
- After a service error put Ball State up 25-24, Tischler and Chatterton combined for another block to tie the set 25-25. SHU earned its first set point at 26-25 and clinched the set with another block to win 27-25.
Set 4: SHU 25-21
- The two sides traded points to open the set, playing to a 7-7 tie. Back-to-back kills by Chatterton gave SHU a 9-7 lead.
- Ball State took its first lead of the set at 12-11 on a Matt Szews kill, but the Pioneers won four of the next five points with a Cox kill putting SHU ahead 15-13.
- The Pioneers led 20-19 when a Bloomquist kill sparked a 4-0 run that gave SHU set point at 24-19. Ball State fought off two set points, but a Bloomquist solo block gave the Pioneers the set 25-21 and forcing a fifth set.
Set 5: Ball State 15-7
- Tischler put SHU up 2-1 with back-to-back kills.
- Ball State responded with a 3-0 run, getting kills from Weiler and Walsh to take a 5-2 lead.
- SHU could only get as close as two points, with a Bloomquist kill making the score 9-7. The Cardinals took the next six points to win the set 15-7 and the match 3-2. SHU had four errors in the last five points.
Key Stats and Notes
- Waumans led SHU with 14 kills, hitting .216.
- Chatterton and Tischler each had five blocks. Tischler added eight kills.
- Joshua Ayzenberg led the match with 17 digs.
- Lee had a double-double with 26 assists and 11 digs.
- Szews led Ball State, and all players, with 17 kills. Walsh added 15 kills and six blocks.
- SHU had 9.5 blocks to Ball State's 8.5. The Cardinals hit .226 and held the Pioneers to a .141 mark.
SHU takes on the Fort Wayne Mastodons on Saturday night at 8 p.m.