SACRED HEART (5-10, 3-1 NEC) VS. ROBERT MORRIS (10-7, 2-2 NEC)
Game 16 * Thurs., January 17, 2013 * Moon Township, PA * Sewell Center
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Pioneers head to Pennsylvania for the back half of a four-game NEC road trip starting Thursday night at Robert Morris. The Pioneers are off to their best-start in NEC play (3-1) since the 2007-08 season after a 2-9 non-conference record. SHU split with their conference in-state rivals last week, falling at Central Connecticut, 84-78, and at Quinnipiac, 80-74. Guards Shane Gibson and Steve Glowiak paced the Pioneers offensively. Gibson netted a season-high 31 points, his sixth career 30-point game, to lead SHU past Quinnipiac. Glowiak hit for a career-high 22 points at CCSU and followed that up with 21 on Saturday at QU. Robert Morris bounced back from an 0-2 league start with a pair of road wins at Fairleigh Dickinson, 88-54, and at Monmouth, 70-55, last week.
Series Notes... This is the 23rd meeting between SHU and RMU.
- Robert Morris leads the all-time series, 14-8.
- RMU swept the season series last year, winning at home 70-67 and 55-53 at SHU.
- Guard Velton Jones buried a three at the buzzer to beat the Pioneers in Fairfield in the last meeting.
- The Colonials have won six of the last seven meetings
- The Pioneers are just 2-9 in Moon Township with their last win coming in 2008
Pioneers in the NEC... Sacred Heart begins its 14th season of play in the Northeast Conference in 2012-13.
- SHU is 101-141 in conference play since joining the league in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers best finish in the league was second, a feat they accomplished twice, in 2006-07 and 2008-09.
- SHU has qualified for the Northeast Conference Tournament six times.
- SHU has made two NEC Championship game appearances, falling to Central Connecticut in 2007 and losing to Mount St. Mary's at home in 2008.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 523-487. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Andrew Toole (Penn '03) is in his third season as the head coach at Robert Morris University. Toole is in his sixth season overall at Robert Morris, having served as an assistant in 2007-08 and as associate head coach from 2008 through 2010. In his first two seasons at the helm, Toole led the Colonials to back-to-back appearances in the NEC title game.
Up Next... The Pioneers close out a four-game road swing on Saturday facing the Saint Francis U Red Flash live on Fox College Sports and ESPN3.