Sacred Heart - Stony Brook Round Two Tuesday Night
SACRED HEART (2-6) VS. STONY BROOK (7-2)
Game 09 * December 18, 2012 * Fairfield, CT * William H. Pitt Center
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart springs back into action after an eight day lay-off for final exams by playing host to the Stony Brook Seawolves Tuesday night. This is round two for both teams after the Pioneers dealt the Seawolves a 64-62 loss back on November 18th. SHU trailed by 12 points with just over five minutes to play but ended the game on an 18-4 run to steal the win. SHU senior Shane Gibson led the charge, scored the final 11 points of the game to fuel the rally and lift the Pioneers to the win. The win at Stony Brook was the last time the Pioneers have enjoyed a victory, coming into the re-match having lost four-straight. SHU was beaten 72-70 on a three with two seconds left at Lafayette last time out. Since losing a late lead to the Pioneers, Stony Brook has won four of their last five and three-straight coming in. The Seawolves come off a 77-61 win at fellow NEC school St. Francis Brooklyn a week ago.
Series Notes... Tuesday night's game is the 21st meeting between SHU and SBU and the second this season.
- The Pioneers hold a 16-4 advantage in the series.
- Sacred Heart won the first meeting this season, 64-62, ending a 15-game home winning streak for the Seawolves in Pritchard Gymnasium
- This is the seventh meeting between the two schools on the Division I level with SHU holding a 5-1 edge.
- SHU has won four-straight against the SBU and are 5-0 all-time against the Seawolves in the William H. Pitt Center.
Pioneers vs. the America East... SHU is 41-28 all-time against the America East Conference.
- Sacred Heart is 9-1 in their last 10 meetings against the league
- The Pioneers saw an eight game win streak against the America east snapped earlier this season, falling at Hartford, 62-47.
- The Pioneers have faced every team from the league, posting winning records against Albany (8-5), Hartford (12-7), New Hampshire (2-0) and Stony Brook (16-4).
- SHU is even with Binghamton (1-1) and has a losing record against Maine (0-3), UMBC (2-7) and Vermont (0-2).
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 522-485. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Steve Pikiell (Connecticut '90) is in his eighth season at Stony Brook University. Pikiell has led his Seawolves to a pair of America East Regular Season Championships while averaging 20 wins over the last three seasons. He has twice been named the America East Coach of the Year (2012, 2010) and is coming off a season where he guided his team to 22 wins and a second NIT appearance.
Up Next... The Pioneers will close out the non-conference portion of their schedule with a pair of games against teams from the Atlantic-10 Conference. SHU will head to LaSalle on Saturday, December 22nd and after the holidays travel to Washington D.C. to face George Washington on December 30th.