Pioneers Battle the Brown Bears Thursday Night
SACRED HEART (2-3) AT BROWN (2-3)
Game 06 * Providence, RI * Pizzitola Sports Center * 7:00 pm
Audio * Live Stats
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart heads to Providence, RI to take on the Brown Bears Thursday night. The Pioneers are looking to shake off a 91-77 loss to Lehigh in their home opener on Sunday. SHU never led and trailed by as many as 30 points in the second half in the loss to the Mountain Hawks. Sacred Heart had four players in double figures led by senior Shane Gibson who scored 18 points in the loss. Sophomore Steve Glowiak hit for a season-high 13 points. The Brown Bears play their fourth and final game against a Northeast Conference school in facing the Pioneers. Brown has lost two-straight coming in, falling to Bryant, 68-61, and St. Francis Brooklyn, 76-72 in overtime, both at home. The Bears lost at Central Connecticut earlier this year, 86-71.
Series Notes... Thursday night's game is the fourth meeting between Sacred Heart and Brown University.
- The Pioneers lead the series, 2-1
- SHU won both meeting in Fairfield, 77-64 last year and 83-78 in the first-ever meeting in 2009-10
- The Bears won their only game in the series on their home court in 2010-11, 81-67.
Pioneers vs. the Ivy League... Sacred Heart is 15-18 all-time against members of the Ivy League.
- This is the second of two meetings this season with Ivy League opponents. The Pioneers erased a 24-point second half hole in beating Yale in overtime, 85-82, in the season-opening Connecticut 6 Classic.
- The Pioneers split with the league in 2011-12, beating Brown and losing to Yale, both at home.
- Sacred Heart has faced Brown (3-1), Columbia (4-4), Cornell (1-1), Harvard (3-5) and Yale (5-7). SHU has never faced Dartmouth, Penn and Princeton.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 522-482. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Mike Martin (Brown '04) is in his first season as the head coach at his alma matar. Martin is the 31st men's basketball head coach in the program's 106 year history. Martin was a four-year starter for the Bears where his class posted a 39-17 Ivy League record over their four seasons. He made his coaching debut as an assistant at Brown from 2005-06 and has been an assistant at Penn for the last six years.
Up Next... Sacred Heart is back in action next week against a pair of Patriot League opponents. SHU will play host to the College of the Holy Cross on Wednesday night, December 5th, and head to Lafayette on Sunday, December 9th.