SACRED HEART (1-2) AT STONY BROOK (3-0)
Game 04 * Stony Brook, NY * Pritchard Gymnasium * 2:00 pm
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart closes out a four-game road swing to open the season heading across the Long Island Sound to face the Stony Brook Seawolves Sunday afternoon. The Pioneers suffered a 62-47 loss at the hands of the Hartford Hawks on Friday night as they look to bounce back from an offensive performance where they shot just 32.7 percent (16-49) including just 1-for-11 from three. Junior Louis Montes posted his second double double of the young season, scoring 13 points with 10 rebounds. Stony Brook is off to a 3-0 start to their season after a 54-46 win at Rider at 6 a.m. live on ESPN. The Seawolves are looking for their first 4-0 start in their Division I history. SBU has won 16-straight at home in Pritchard Gymnasium.
Series Notes... This afternoon's game is the 20th meeting between SHU and SBU.
- The Pioneers hold a 15-4 advantage in the series.
- This is the sixth meeting between the two schools on the Division I level with SHU holding a 4-1 edge over the previous five meetings.
- SHU has won three-straight against the SBU after a 74-63 win last year at home.
- The two schools will meet twice this season. The rematch is scheduled for Tuesday, December 18th in the Pitt Center.
Pioneers vs. the America East... SHU is 40-28 all-time when facing the America East Conference.
- The Pioneers saw an eight game win streak against the league snapped on Friday night, falling at Hartford, 62-47..
- The Pioneers have faced every team from the league, posting winning records against Albany (8-5), Hartford (12-7), New Hampshire (2-0) and Stony Brook (15-4).
- SHU is even with Binghamton (1-1) and has a losing record against Maine (0-3), UMBC (2-7) and Vermont (0-2).
- Sacred Heart will match up with the America East three times this season, facing Hartford and Stony Brook twice in a home/home series.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 521-480. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Steve Pikiell (Connecticut '90) is in his eighth season at Stony Brook University. Pikiell has led his Seawolves to a pair of America East Regular Season Championships while averaging 20 wins over the last three seasons. He has twice been named the America East Coach of the Year (2012, 2010) and is coming off a season where he guided his team to 22 wins and a second NIT appearance.
Up Next... Sacred Heart will have Thanksgiving week off before returning to action for the home opener on Sunday, November 25th. The Pioneers will make their William H. Pitt Center debut hosting the Lehigh Mountain Hawks. Tip-off is slated for 2:00 pm.