SACRED HEART (0-0) VS. YALE (0-0)
CONNECTICUT 6 CLASSIC
Game 01 * West Hartford, CT - Univ. of Hartford - Chase Family Arena * 5:30 pm
Setting the Scene... The 2012-13 season tips-off Saturday afternoon as the Sacred Heart Pioneers take on the Yale Bulldogs in the Connecticut 6 Classic. The annual triple header is being played at the University of Hartford this season and will be aired on SportsNet New York (SNY) with John Holt on the play by play and Tom Brennan on color. The Pioneers return four starters from last year's team that finished 14-18 overall and returned to the Northeast Conference Tournament after a two-year absence. SHU was picked to finish sixth in this year's NEC Preseason Coaches' Poll and senior guard Shane Gibson was a Preseason All-NEC selection after leading the league in scoring in 2011-12. The Yale Bulldogs come off a season where they won 19 games and appeared in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament. The Bulldogs were tabbed sixth in the Ivy League Preseason Media Poll. Saturday's opener will mark the 1,000th career game coached at Sacred Heart for head coach Dave Bike.
Series Notes... This is the 12th meeting with Yale with the Bulldogs holding a 7-4 edge in the all-time series.
- The Pioneers and Bulldogs have met in each of the last 12 seasons
- This is the second meeting between Yale and SHU in the CT6 Classic. The Pioneers beat Yale, 92-86 in the first CT6 Classic in 2009 at the Webster Bank Arena
- Yale won the first five meetings between the two schools.
- SHU had won three-striaght heading into last year's game, but the Bulldogs answered with a 73-71 win in the Pitt Center
Pioneers vs. the Ivy League... Sacred Heart is 14-18 all-time against members of the Ivy League.
- SHU will face off with the Ivy League twice this season, taking on Yale in the CT6 Classic and traveling to Brown University.
- The Pioneers split with the league in 2011-12, beating Brown and losing to Yale, both at home.
- Sacred Heart has faced Brown (3-1), Columbia (4-4), Cornell (1-1), Harvard (3-5) and Yale (4-7). SHU has never faced Dartmouth, Penn and Princeton.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 520-479. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. James Jones (Albany '86) is in his 14th season as the head coach at Yale University. Jones is the longest tenured coach in the Ivy League and owns an 176-191 record at Yale. He led Yale to their first Ivy League title since 1962-63 when he guided the Bulldogs to the 2001-02 crown. Jones guided the Bulldogs back to the postseason last year, earning a spot in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
Up Next... The Pioneers return to the court Monday night when they travel to Rutgers for a 7:30 tip-off. SHU opens the season with four-straight on the road in nine days.