SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Sacred Heart women's cross country team landed three runners on the All-Northeast Conference team as the Pioneers finished third at the conference championship meet on Saturday morning. Sacred Heart finished with 62 points in their bid to repeat as conference champions, finishing behind champion Central Connecticut (46) and runner-up Saint Francis U. (48).
- Senior Tara Connelly, junior Jacqueline Thorne and junior Olivia Weiss all finished in the top 14 overall to earn all-conference honors.
- Connelly becomes only the second SHU woman, and third athlete overall, to earn All-NEC honors four times in cross country. The 2017 runner-up joins Katie Wrinkle (2000-03) and Trevor Guerra (2014-2017) as the only SHU athletes with that distinction.
- It was the first All-NEC honor for both Thorne and Weiss.
- Thorne has improved from 26th, to 17th, to seventh at the NEC Championships over the last three years.
- Weiss has improved from 34th, to 16th, to 11th over her three years at the NEC Championships.
- As a team, Sacred Heart has placed in the top three for 11 consecutive years, and has never placed lower than fifth since joining the NEC 20 seasons ago in 1999.
- The SHU women have never failed to place at least one athlete on the All-NEC team since joining the conference in 1999, and has had a minimum of three All-NEC performers for eight consecutive years.
2018 CHAMPIONSHIP RACE
- Connelly led the way for SHU, finishing the 5K race in sixth place overall in 18:45.5. Thorne (18:46.4) was right behind in seventh overall. Weiss followed in 11th place with a time of 18:49.0.
- First-year Gaelyn Kattman, who won four NEC Rookie of the Week awards this season, placed 17th overall in 19:17.2. Junior Jody DiCicco rounded out the team's top five with a 21st place tally in 19:30.5, and senior Emma Cary (24th/19:38.1) and sophomore Bonnie Wilder (28th/19:45.9) rounded out the team's top seven.
- Also representing SHU was junior Bianca De Lucia (30th/19:54.9), sophomore Brigit Kelly (38th/20:22.3) and junior Delaney Kimball (45th/20:38.5).
2018 NEC Women's XC Championship Race Results
- Central Connecticut – 46 points
- Saint Francis U. – 48
- Sacred Heart – 62
- Mount St. Mary's – 74
- Wagner – 141
- LIU Brooklyn - (191)
- Robert Morris - (194)
- Fairleigh Dickinson – 227
- Bryant – 248
- St. Francis Brooklyn – 267