FAIRFIELD, CONN. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its fourth conference win of the season, as the Pioneers defeated St. Francis University (27-25, 25-23, 31-29) at home Friday evening.
First Set: SHU 27-25
- The two teams played to a 12-12 tie early in the set
- St. Francis went on a 3-0 run to take a 15-12 lead
- SHU battled back to tie the contest at 16-16, capped by a kill from Alix Polk
- With St. Francis holding a 23-21 lead, SHU took six of the next eight points to take the set
- Polk delivered service ace to secure the set win
Second Set: SHU 25-23
- The teams went back-and-forth to a 12-12 tie in the second set
- The teams traded points to an 19-19 tie later in the set
- Nelis recorded a kill to give Sacred Heart a 20-19 lead, forcing a Red Flash timeout
- Out of the timeout, SHU recorded back-to-back points, capped by a Ciszek service ace to force another Saint Francis timeout
- With SHU holding set-point, Polk came through in the clutch to deliver the set-ending kill
Third Set: SHU 31-29
- For the third-consecutive set, the teams played to a 12-12 tie
- SHU then pushed its lead to 15-12 to force a Red Flash timeout
- A Ciszek kill pushed SHU's lead to 18-14
- With SHU holding match-point to 22, the Red Flash battled back to tie the match at 24-24
- After going back-and-forth to a 29-29 tie, SHU closed the match on a Red Flash attack error, followed by a Ciszek service ace
SHU hit .243 for the match, while St. Francis (3-16, 2-4 NEC) had a hit percentage of .221. The Red Flash registered 65 digs in the match, while SHU recorded 72.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 13, when SHU plays host to NEC foe Robert Morris at 4 p.m.