SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its third conference win of the season, as the Pioneers swept Bryant (25-23, 25-20, 25-10) on the road Friday evening.
Liisel Nelis led Sacred Heart (10-5, 3-1 NEC) with a match-high 14 kills and adding six digs. Sarah Ciszek paced the Pioneers with a match-high 22 assists, 10 digs and six kills with a .417 kill percentage in the win.
First Set: SHU 25-23
- Bryant started the match on an 11-5 run
- Alix Polk halted the run with a kill and sparked 10-4 SHU run
- Later in the set, with the score tied 20-20, Nelis gave the Pioneers a lead with a kill
- Bryant scored the next two points, but a Julia Murawinski kill knotted the set at 22-22
- Bryant called a timeout after a Nelis kill knotted the score at 23-23
- Immediately out of the timeout, SHU took the set on a kill from Polk and a Bryant service error
Second Set: SHU 25-20
- SHU hopped out to a 7-0 lead, with three different players recording kills for the Pioneers
- The Pioneers extended their lead to 11-4 after a Nelis kill
- Bryant battled back into the set, cutting the SHU lead to 17-14
- The Pioneers eventually took the set, which was concluded on a kill from Polk
Third Set: SHU 25-10
- SHU quickly went on the attack and took an early 9-5 lead, capped by a Nelis kill and forcing a Bryant timeout
- The Pioneers scored the next seven points out of the timeout to force a second Bryant timeout with SHU leading 17-5
- Bryant attempted to make a late push, but a Nelis kill with SHU leading 24-10 secured the set and match win for the Pioneers
SHU hit .281 for the match, while Bryant (13-9, 3-2 NEC) had a hit percentage of .071. The Bulldogs registered 35 digs in the match, while SHU recorded 38.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 6, when SHU travels to take on NEC-foe Central Connecticut at 4 p.m.