TEANECK, N.J. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its second conference win of the season, as the Pioneers swept Fairleigh Dickinson (25-12, 25-17, 25-18) on the road Friday evening.
Liisel Nelis led Sacred Heart (9-5, 2-1 NEC) with a double-double, registering 12 kills with a .355 hit percentage, while also tallying 10 digs. Sarah Ciszek paced the Pioneers with a match-high 29 assists and nine digs in the win.
First Set: SHU 25-12
- The two teams played to an 8-8 tie early in the first set
- SHU then went on a 12-4 run to take a 20-12 lead
- Julia Murawinski and Nelis combined for seven of the 12 SHU points on the run
- Holding a 20-12 lead, the Pioneers scored the next five points to secure the set win
- Gianna Scioletti secured the set win with a kill
- The Pioneers closed the first set with a 17-4 run after being tied with the Knights at 8-8
Second Set: SHU 25-17
- SHU opened the set on a 12-3 run that capped by a bad Fairleigh Dickinson set
- The Pioneers extended their lead to 21-9 after back-to-back kills from Ciszek and Nelis
- The Knights went on a 7-2 run to cut the SHU lead to 23-16
- SHU closed the set by taking two of the next three points after an Alix Polk kill and Fairleigh Dickinson attack error
Third Set: SHU 25-18
- SHU started the set with a 14-4 run, capped by back-to-back kills from Polk
- FDU slowly crept into the set, cutting the SHU lead to 16-10
- SHU held its composure, distancing themselves to a 24-18 lead after a Polk kill
- The Pioneers took the set and match after an FDU attack error to seal it.
SHU hit .262 for the match, while Fairleigh Dickinson (2-14, 0-3 NEC) had a hit percentage of .129. The Knights registered 40 digs in the match, while SHU recorded 50.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Friday, Oct. 5, when SHU travels to take on NEC-foe Bryant at 6 p.m.