SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team had its three-game win streak snapped, as the Pioneers fell to Seton Hall 3-0 (19-25, 14-25, 12-25) on Friday afternoon at the Thunderdome Classic.
First Set: Seton Hall 25-19
- The two teams went back-and-forth to a 7-7 tie early in the set
- Seton Hall scored the next five points to take a 12-7 lead, forcing a Sacred Heart timeout
- Out of the timeout, Julia Murawinski recorded a kill to break the SHU drought
- SHU cut the deficit to 19-16, but was unable to recover as the Pirates outscored the Pioneers 6-3 to take the set
Second Set: Seton Hall 25-14
- SHU fell behind 9-2 early in the set and called a timeout
- Seton Hall's largest lead reached 11 points (17-6)
- After trailing 17-6, SHU was able to score four of the next five points, capped by a Kathryn Green kill to bring the score to 18-10
- The Pirates went on to outscore the Pioneers 7-4 to take the second set
Third Set: Seton Hall 25-12
- Seton Hall hopped out to an early 15-5 lead.
- SHU was able to battle get within 20-10
- Seton Hall closed on a 5-2 run to secure the set and match win.
SHU hit .062 for the match, while Seton Hall (4-3) had a hit percentage of .322. Seton Hall registered 34 digs in the match, while SHU recorded 32.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 8, when SHU takes on UC Santa Barbara and Texas Tech in the final day of play at the Thunderdome Classic. Game one is set for 3 p.m. and game two is set for 7 p.m. EST.