HAMDEN, Conn. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its third-straight win, as the Pioneers defeated Quinnipiac 3-1 (25-20, 25-23, 19-25, 25-16) on Saturday morning on the road.
First Set: SHU 25-20
- SHU jumped out to an early 7-3 lead, with four different players recording a kill in the span
- Quinnipiac stormed back and was able to tie the contest at 11-11
- The Bobcats pushed their lead to 15-13 before Sacred Heart scored four-straight points to take a 17-15 lead.
- The run was capped by a Julia Murawinski kill to force a Quinnipiac timeout
- Quinnipiac tied it at 17 after the timeout, but a Liisel Nelis kill gave SHU an 18-17 lead
- Quinnipiac cut it as close as 20-19 before SHU went on a 5-1 run, capped by a Murawinski kill to take the set 25-20
- The Pioneers boasted an efficient .400 hitting percentage in the set, compared to Quinnipiac's .259
Second Set: SHU 25-23
- The two teams went back-and-forth in the early parts of the set, with Sacred Heart holding on to a 7-6 lead.
- The Pioneers went on a 3-0 run, capped by a Quinnipiac attack error to force a timeout and push their lead to 10-6
- Out of the timeout, Quinnipiac fought back into the contest, eventually taking a 16-15 lead
- The teams traded points to a 23-23 tie
- SHU took the set after a Quinnipiac service error, followed by a Sarah Ciszek service ace
Third Set: QU 25-19
- The two sides exchanged points to an 8-8 tie early in the set
- Quinnipiac scored two-straight points to force a SHU timeout, however, out of the timeout the Bobcats increased their lead to 16-11
- Back-to-back errors from Quinnipiac and a Nelis kill cut the SHU deficit to 16-14, forcing a Quinnipiac timeout
- However, out of the timeout, Quinnipiac outscored Sacred Heart 9-8 to take the set
Fourth Set: SHU 25-16
- QU jumped out to a 6-5 lead before Nelis recorded three-straight kills to give SHU an 8-6 lead
- Ciszek followed with a kill of her own, then a QU error forced a timeout with Sacred Heart leading 10-6
- Out of the timeout, QU cut the SHU lead to 15-11 before SHU went on a 10-5 run to secure the set and match win
- During the run, four different Pioneers recorded a kill
SHU hit .254 for the match, while Quinnipiac (0-6) had a hit percentage of .134. Both Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac recorded 39 digs in the match.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 7, when SHU travels to take on Seton Hall in the at the Thunderdome Classic in Santa Barbara, California. Game time is set for 6 p.m.