NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its third win of the season, as the Pioneers defeated Hartford 3-2 (23-25, 25-23, 25-22, 19-25, 15-11) on Friday evening on Yale's campus.
Liisel Nelis led Sacred Heart (3-1) with a season-high 19 kills, four service aces, 18 digs and 23.5 points. Julia Murawinski tied her career-high of 16 kills in the win, while Sarah Ciszek finished with seven kills and a career-high 55 assists.
First Set: Hartford 25-23
- After falling behind 6-2, SHU scored four of the next five points to cut the deficit to 7-6.
- After falling behind 10-6, the Pioneers scored four straight points, capped by a Jillian Kim kill to knot the score at 10-10.
- The two teams went back-and-forth throughout the set until Hartford pulled off the 25-23 set win.
- The Pioneers recorded a .229 hit percentage in the set, while Hartford had a .258 hit percentage
Second Set: SHU 25-23
- The Pioneers hopped out to an early 7-3 lead, capped by a Rianna McNamee kill.
- Hartford regrouped and battled back to take a 10-9 lead, forcing a SHU timeout.
- The teams went back-and-forth to a 20-20 tie in the set, capped by a Liisel Nelis kill to force a Hartford timeout.
- With the set tied at 22-22, Julia Murawinski recorded a clutch kill, followed by a Hartford attack error to give SHU a 24-22 lead.
- McNamee sealed the set win with a kill.
Third Set: SHU 25-22
- SHU jumped out to a 7-4 lead, where Nelis recorded three kills, including the seventh point.
- After Hartford cut the deficit to 8-6, the Pioneers went on a 6-2 run, including two kills apiece from Alix Polk and Murawinski
- Back-to-back kills from Sarah Ciszek and Nelis pushed Sacred Heart's lead to 16-10 and forced a Hartford timeout
- Out of the timeout, the Hawks climbed back into the set, cutting the SHU lead to 17-14, forcing a Sacred Heart timeout
- Hartford was able to cut the deficit the 22-21, but SHU pulled away and won the set 25-22 on a Nelis kill.
Fourth Set: Hartford 25-19
- Hartford jumped out to a 7-1 to force a Sacred Heart timeout
- After Hartford extended its lead to 19-8, before Sacred Heart went on a 6-1 run to cut the deficit to 20-15.
- Hartford then pushed its lead to 23-15 before the Pioneers fought to a 23-18 deficit to force a Hartford timeout
- Out of the timeout, Emma Smallcomb recorded her second service ace in a row to bring Sacred Heart within four points, but the Hawks closed the set out 25-19
Fifth Set: SHU 15-11
- SHU jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, forcing a hartford timeout
- Nelis recorded two service aces in the the 4-0 run
- Out of the timeout, Hartford rallied for four-consecutive points to tie the set at 4-4
- Sacred Heart followed with another 4-0 run to put the Pioneers up 8-4
- Hartford was able to cut the SHU lead to 11-9
- SHU followed by outscoring Hartford 4-2 to secure the set and match win
SHU hit .224 for the match, while Hartford (1-3) had a hit percentage of .288. SHU recorded 63 digs, while Hartford recorded 57. Jenna Bridge led Hartford with 19 kills.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 1, when SHU travels to take on in-state foe Quinnipiac in Hamden Game time is set for 11 a.m.