CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team opened the 2018 season at the Boston College Invitational Friday afternoon with a 3-0 (25-19, 25-14, 25-14) win over the Providence Friars at Power Gym.
First Set: SHU 25-19
- The two teams traded points early and often to open the match, playing to a 12-12 tie. SHU then won four straight points, forcing Providence to take a timeout after falling behind 16-12.
- After the Friars cut the Pioneer lead to 18-17, SHU went on to outscore Providence 7-2 to win the first set.
- Julia Murawinski and Dole led the way in the first set with three kills apiece.
Second Set: SHU 25-14
- After the teams went back-and-forth to a 4-4 tie, SHU went on an 8-2 run to force a Providence timeout with the Pioneers leading 12-6.
- Out of the timeout, SHU scored five straight points, with Kiley Ridgway recording two kills, to force another Providence timeout.
- SHU outscored Providence 7-6 to secure the second set win.
- Nelis led the way with three kills in the set, while Ciszek, Dole and Ridgway added two kills apiece.
Third Set: SHU 25-14
- SHU hopped out to an early 10-4 lead before Providence cut the SHU lead to 10-7.
- The Pioneers scored three-straight points, behind two kills from Nelis to force a Friar timeout.
- Leading 17-14, a kill by Nelis sparked an eight-point Pioneer run that secured the SHU third-set 25-14 win and match sweep.
- Ciszek secured the win with a kill and had 10 assists in the set.
- Nelis led the way with five kills in the set and McNamee followed with four kills and a .800 attack percentage.
SHU hit .321 for the match, holding Providence (0-1) to a -.023 mark. The Pioneers had 31 digs to the Friars' 26. Addison Root led Providence with five kills.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Saturday, August 25, when SHU takes on Boston College in the Boston College Invitational at 7:00 p.m.