FAIRFIELD, Conn. – After notching a first set victory, the Sacred Heart women's volleyball team went on to alternate the next two before tacking on a fourth set win for the 3-1 final over Northeast Conference opponent, LIU Brooklyn, Friday night at the Pitt Center. The win ends a four-match drought for the host.
Makayla Dole and Julia Murawinski led Sacred Heart's surge on the offensive end with 14 and 13 respective kills directed by Kiki Robinson's 33 helpers. Four Pioneers reached double-figure digs with Madi Pope (19), Robinson (15), Dole (13), Liisel Nelis (13) and Megan Mondon (12) adding to the defense. Gianna Scioletti attained nine blocks.
For the visitors, Nina Petranovic landed 10 kills and earned 14 digs on the evening. Natalia Rivera led all with 25 digs while Amanda Hubbard (15) and Piper Matsumoto (11) added assists.
Sacred Heart – 8-11, 2-4 NEC
LIU Brooklyn – 11-8, 4-2 NEC
First Set: SHU 25-13
- The Pioneers tabbed its best hitting clip all evening (.448).
- A Katharina Krepper kill cut into the Blackbird's early set deficit, 3-1.
- The Pioneers reached a double-digit advantage up 17-7 on a kill by Dole on the connection from Pope.
- The Blackbirds filled their gap by as many as eight before succumbing to another 10-point deficit, 20-10, on a miscue by Masa Zirojevic and again, 22-12, on a kill from SHU's Robinson.
- SHU won four of the set's next five points capped on a kill from Dole assisted by Mondon.
Second Set: LIU 25-17
- The Blackbirds credited their best hitting clip, .286.
- LIU Brooklyn's attack error by Viktoria Fink awarded the Pioneers with their first point, 3-1.
- Three consecutive SHU miscues capped at the 11-5 mark put the Pioneers behind six.
- The Blackbirds would go on to lead by as many as 11 twice, 17-6 and 19-8, before a Muranowski kill slowed the foe, 19-9.
- Dole's kill forced a defensive mishap by Filipa Hansson to trim the opponent's lead to six, 19-13.
- LIU Brooklyn would go on to claim six of the set's final 10 points to even the match score, 1-1.
Third Set: SHU 26-24
- Both teams played their most competitive set enduring seven lead changes and 14 ties.
- Mid-match, Piper Matsumoto got tangled up with the ball, for the 13-13 deadlocked score.
- From that point on, no team held an advantage of two points or more.
- An attack error by Petranovic awarded the host a two-point lead late, 23-21, before the Blackbirds earned the set's next three points for the 24-23 lead.
- Muranowski's kill deadlocked the score again, 24-24, before another Blackbirds' error and a Dole kill casted the set victory.
Fourth Set: SHU 25-16
- SHU held LIU Brooklyn to a negative hitting clip, -.054.
- The Pioneer's held the Blackbirds to single digits, 18-9, before a kill by Zirojevic awarded LIU Brooklyn its 10th point.
- SHU went up by as many as 11, 22-11 on a successful attack by Scioletti from Robinson.
- The Pioneer's continued to hold off the visitors before resting upon the 25-16 to clinch the match victory.
Tomorrow, the Pioneers wrap up their four-match home-stand and first league go-round against St. Francis Brooklyn, Saturday, October 14. First serve is set for 6 p.m.