FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team led the Bryant Bulldogs two sets to none Saturday night, but could not hold off the first-place visitors as Bryant rallied back to win the match 3-2 (19-25, 17-25, 32-30, 25-18, 17-15).
Sophomore opposite Julia Murawinski had a career-high 16 kills, hitting .406 with just three errors. She also tied a career-high with five blocks. Gianna Scioletti set a new career-high with eight blocks, as Kiley Ridgway added seven. Liisel Nelis led SHU with 18 kills, adding 11 digs and five blocks. Madi Pope led all players with 19 digs and four aces.
Sacred Heart – 7-11, 1-4 NEC
Bryant – 14-8, 5-0 NEC
First Set: SHU 25-19
- The Pioneers held the Bulldogs to a -.034 hitting percentage.
- Back-to-back kills by Murawinski and Makayla Dole gave SHU a 6-4 lead.
- Bryant took the lead 11-10 on consecutive blocks by Alexandra Lunsford and Grace Richmeyer.
- SHU used a 3-1 run to take an 18-15 lead. The Pioneers extended the lead to 21-18 on a Dole ace.
- SHU won the final three points of the set on a block by Ridgway and Murawinski, a Pope ace, and a Bryant error.
Second Set: SHU 25-17
- SHU ran off five straight points on the serve of Cassandra Lew to take a 9-3 lead.
- Kills by Scioletti and Murawinski gave the Pioneers a 14-7 lead.
- Bryant cut the deficit to three at 15-12 on kills by Lunsford and Julia Flynn.
- SHU used a 6-1 run, capped by a Nelis ace, to go up 22-15.
- A Kiki Robinson ace gave SHU the set 25-17.
Third Set: Bryant 32-30
- Trailing 5-3, consecutive kills by Nelis sparked a 6-0 SHU run to put the Pioneers up 9-5.
- SHU took its largest lead of the set at 17-11 on a block by Scioletti and Nelis.
- The Pioneers had set point at 24-19, but the Bulldogs took six straight points to earn their first set point at 25-24.
- SHU had set point at 30-29 after back-to-back Nelis kills. Bryant then got two kills from Flynn to take a 31-30 lead. The Bulldogs took the set 32-30 on a SHU error.
Fourth Set: Bryant 25-18
- The Bulldogs raced out to a 4-1 lead.
- SHU erased a four-point Bryant lead to tie the set 10-10. Scioletti had two blocks in the 4-0 run.
- Bryant used a 4-0 run of their won later in the set to take an 18-13 lead.
- The Pioneers got within three at 20-17 on a Dole Kill. Bryant took the next four points as a block by Richmeyer and Kirstyn Sperry gave the Bulldogs a 24-17 lead.
Fifth Set: Bryant 17-15
- Three straight kills by Murawinski put SHU up 3-2 early.
- The Pioneers rallied to tie the set 7-7 after falling behind 6-4, forcing a Bryant timeout.
- Back-to-back kills by Nelis gave SHU a 10-8 lead.
- SHU led 11-10 when a Richmeyer kill sparked a 3-0 Bulldogs run that gave Bryant a 13-11 lead.
- The Pioneers won four of the next five points, earning match point at 15-14 on a Dole kill.
- Bryant took the next three points, getting a block from Lundsford and Sydney Gorski to win the set 17-15 and the match 3-2.
The Pioneers are home again next weekend, hosting LIU Brooklyn on Oct. 13 at 5 p.m. and St. Francis Brooklyn on Oct. 14 at 6 p.m.