HANOVER, N.H. – The Sacred Heart women's volleyball team opened play at the Dartmouth Invitational Friday afternoon with a 3-0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-12) win over the Iona Gaels at Leede Arena.
Liisel Nelis led Sacred Heart (4-4) with 12 kills and hit .458 while adding five aces. Gianna Scioletti had nine kills and four blocks. Julia Murawinski hit .458 with seven kills and four blocks. Kiki Robinson dished out 35 assists as Madi Pope and Cassandra Lew each had 10 digs.
First Set: SHU 25-19
- The two teams traded points early and often to open the match, playing to a 9-9 tie. SHU then won five of the next seven points, getting two Makayla Dole kills and a Nelis ace to take a 14-11 lead.
- The Pioneers extended the lead to five at 18-13 on a Gaels error.
- Kills by Dole and Julia Murawinski gave SHU the set 25-19.
- Murawinski and Nelis combined to hit .545 in the first, putting down seven kills with just one error.
Second Set: SHU 25-21
- SHU opened the set on a 4-0 run, getting a kill from Gianna Scioletti and back-to-back Nelis aces.
- A Dole kill put the Pioneers ahead 9-3.
- Iona rallied to get back within four at 14-10 on a Tess Connolly kill. SHU responded with a 5-1 run sparked by another Dole kill to take a 19-11 lead.
- The Gaels went on a 6-1 run, capped by an Alexandra Russo ace, to get within three at 20-17.
- Scioletti gave SHU set point at 24-19 with her fifth kill of the set. After Iona fought off two set points, Murawinski put down a kill to give SHU the second set 25-21.
Third Set: SHU 25-12
- SHU won the first six points in the set. Murawinski and Scioletti were in on two blocks as Robinson had a pair of service aces.
- The Pioneers extended the lead to eight, 15-7, on a Nelis kill and Iona error.
- Leading 15-9, a block by Murawinski and Scioletti sparked a six-point Pioneer run that put SHU ahead 21-9.
- Kiley Ridgway put the match away with her fifth kill of the match, giving SHU the set 25-12 and the match 3-0.
- SHU held Iona to a -.071 hitting percentage in the set.
SHU hit .294 for the match, holding Iona (2-5) to a .126 mark. The Pioneers had 39 digs to the Gaels' 24. Jamie Smith led Iona with eight kills.
The Pioneers will have two matches on Saturday. SHU will take on Syracuse at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow morning, followed by a 6:30 p.m. match against the host Big Green.