The Sacred Heart University women's indoor track and field team opened the 2019 portion of its schedule Friday, at the Wagner College Invitational at Ocean Breeze in Staten Island, N.Y.
The Pioneers return to action next weekend, with two events on the schedule. The team will compete at the Harvard University Multis Friday and Saturday, January 11-12, and the Albany Great Dane Classic, back at Ocean Breeze on Saturday.
- Amy Vegliante placed first in the pole vault (3.35m) and Brooke Van Lenten took second (3.05m)
- Jillian Kilmer and Nicole Szilagyi both reached the finals in the hurdles, with Szilagyi placing sixth (9.62) and Kilmer eighth (9.86)
- Antonia Hoyos placed first in the triple jump (10.97m) while Tara Brody placed third (10.93)
- Hoyos also placed third in the long jump (4.99m)
- Brianna Lavinier hit a New England Qualifying mark in the shot put when she placed fifth (12.61m)
- Lavinier also had a personal best weight throw of 13.25 that helped her to place eighth
- Fellow throwers Erika Johnson placed seventh in the weight throw (13.49m), and Samantha Curran placed eighth in the shot put (12.13)
- SHU sprinters obtained three of the top eight spots in the 200m- Tanaya Wade (4th- 26.57), Julia Harrison (7th- 26.93), Grace Glennon (8th- 27.14)
- The Pioneers had two in the top-seven in the 800m, with Olivia Kneski crossing fifth at 2:28.66 and Kaylin Ciesluk seventh at 2:30.52
- Jody DiCicco was the top Pioneer finisher in the 3000m run with a time of 10:50.92