FAIRFIELD, Conn.- Sacred Heart University Head Men's and Women's Tennis Coach William Boe-Wiegaard announced today that Josh Burger will serve as the new Assistant Coach for the 2018-19 season.
Burger is a USPTA Certified tennis instructor that specializes in sport psychology and mental toughness. He was an all-conference student-athlete at Clark University and earned his master's degree in sport psychology at Cal State Long Beach where he interviewed Division 1 collegiate tennis coaches about mental toughness. He has had the opportunity to assist and learn from tennis legend Gigi Fernandez and has worked at premier tennis clubs around the country including San Francisco Tennis Club.
Coach Burger will assist with all areas of the program including:
- Planning and running practices
- Coaching the players during their competitions
- Corresponding with other programs regarding scheduling issues of upcoming matches
- Recruiting and setting up official visits
- Organizing and running special occasions (fundraisers/alumni brunch/senior day)
- Growing the Friends of SHU Tennis Network
- Supervising the creation of newsletters and social media posts
- Helping the tennis players stay focused on volunteering in the community
- Utilizing his Masters in Sports Psychology to help our players to get to the next level of mental toughness