The Sacred Heart University swimming and diving team opened the 2017-18 season at a double dual meet at Central Connecticut State with St. Bonaventure. The two-day event resumes at 9:00 am Saturday with diving events and noon with more swimming events.
Freshman Margaret Flaherty finished second in the 1,000 freestyle in record setting fashion, touching at 10:45.71, good for second place in the event. The previous mark was set in 2004 by Christine DePierro, with a time of 10:47.57.
St. Bonaventure leads the Pioneers 117-50 after the first evening, while NEC foe CCSU is in front 97-70.
- Anna Brown placed third in the 100 backstroke, finishing at 1:01.62
- Emily Peter was the fourth place finisher in the 200 butterfly, at 2:13.68, with Nikole Rudis in fifth place
- Jessie Poole touched fifth in the 100 breaststroke at 1:10.23
- Fiona Maxwell placed fifth in the 200 individual medley in a time of 2:16.04
- Lauren Somers recorded a pair of second-place finishes, touching at 24.66 in the 50 and 1:53.59 in the 200
- Lauren Spencer was the Pioneers second finisher in the 1,000 free, placing fifth at 11:00.58