FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team split its double-header this afternoon against Stony Brook as the Pioneers fell in first game by a score of 8-3 while prevailing in the second by a score of 7-5. SHU returns to action right away as the Pioneers travel to face Iona tomorrow for a double-header beginning at 2:30 p.m.
SBU 8, SHU 3
- Bottom of the 2nd inning- Graduate student Fallon Bevino would get the Pioneers on the board early as she would launch her third homer of the year to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Top of the 3rd inning- Stony Brook would answer right back as Irene Rivera would knock in a an RBI double to even the score at 1-1.
- Bottom of the 4th inning- Bevino again would fire off her second homer of the day this time to left field scoring in two to put the Pioneers ahead 3-1.
- Top of the 5th inning- An RBI single by Rivera would tighten the SHU lead to 3-2.
- Top of the 5th inning- Then a three-run homer by Riley Craig would give the Seawolves a 5-3 lead heading into the sixth inning.
- Top of the 6th inning- Another three-run homer this time off the bat of Melisa Rahrich would put Stony Brook ahead 8-3 to give them the victory as well.
- Fallon Bevino would lead the way for the Pioneers at the plate as she went 2-3 with two homers and three RBI's.
- Both sides would be even in the hit column as each team fired off seven in game one.
- Senior Emily Orosco would tally the loss in the game as she went five innings, giving up five runs on six hits with four strikeouts.
SBU 5, SHU 7
- Top of the 2nd inning- Jordyn Nowakowski would tally a home run in the inning to put Stony Brook ahead 1-0.
- Bottom of the 2nd inning- First-year Amy Petrovich would answer right back with a two run blast to left field to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Bottom of the 4th inning- First-year Alyssa Gonzalez would rip a double to left center scoring in two runs to put SHU ahead 4-1.
- Bottom of the 6th inning- Sophomore Caroline Kruger would knock in two more runs as she cascaded a homer to left field to put the Pioneers ahead 6-1.
- Bottom of the 6th inning- Senior Hailey Desrosiers would want a piece of the pie as well as she would also fire off a solo homer as well to put the Pioneers ahead 7-1.
- Top of the 7th inning- Nowakowski would hit a solo shot to left field to tighten the SHU lead to 7-2.
- Top of the 7th inning- Melisa Rahrich would get hit by a pitch with the bases loaded scoring in one to tighten the Pioneers lead to 7-3.
- Top of 7th inning- A two run RBI by Irene Rivera would knock in two runs to make the score 7-5 but SHU would hold on to walk away with the 7-5 victory.
- At the plate, SHU was led by first-years Alyssa Gonzalez and Amy Petrovich as they both tallied a pair of RBI's for the Pioneers in the 7-5 victory.
- SHU outhit the Seawolves eight to six in the game.
- In the circle sophomore Shyanne Fennell went all seven innings giving up five runs on six hits with three strikeouts and would earn the win to improve her record to 4-2 on the season.