ORONO, Maine— The Sacred Heart University softball team dropped a pair of extra-inning contests to the University of Maine on Saturday afternoon.
The Black Bears (18-18) picked up a 2-0 win in eight innings in game two before edging the Pioneers (24-17) 1-0 in the eighth inning of game two to earn the sweep at Kessock Field.
Game One – Maine 2, SHU 0 – 8 inn.
Bottom of the 8th inning… After a leadoff walk, Alyssa Derrick lifted a two-run home run off junior Kristen McCann to walk off game one.
- In the pitcher's duel, SHU outhit Maine 3-2 in the opening game.
- Stephanie Mangiameli attributed two of the Pioneers hits with Lauren Delgadillo adding the other.
- McCann allowed two runs on two hits in seven innings of work, surrendering a season-high 11 walks on the day.
Game Two Maine 1, SHU 0
Bottom of the 8th inning… After a hit by a pitch and line out to start the inning, Laurie German hit a hard grounder to third for the fielder's choice. The throw went high to second base going into right field allowing the runner from first to score.
- The Pioneers were held to a season-low two hits in game two. Mangiameli and Jennie Boisvert were the lone SHU batters to register hits.
- Emily Orosco surrendered just two hits in seven innings of work. She struck out six while giving up three walks.
The Pioneers return home to Pioneer Park tomorrow for a Northeast Conference