FAIRFIELD, Conn.— Behind a seven-run second inning, the Sacred Heart University Softball team jumped out early to defeat in-state opponent Yale University, 8-0 on Wednesday afternoon at Pioneer Park.
The Pioneers (24-15) picked up six hits in the big second inning to take the yearly meeting against the Bulldogs (8-26).
Bottom of the 2nd inning… The Pioneers got the scoring started as Lindsey Spitz scored on a wild pitch with one out. Jessica Dubbioso followed by uncorking a RBI double to right field in the next at-bat. The strong hitting continued Hailey Desrosiers followed by switching spots with Dubbioso doubling her home. Kelyn Fillmore stepped up and singled to right to make the score 4-0. Lauren Delgadillo singled through the right side scoring another run. Caroline Kruger then went on to hit a line drive over the left fielder's head to clear the bases and bring the score to 7-0.
Bottom of the 4th inning… Kruger continued her hot day by crushing a home run out to left field to make the score 8-0.
- Three Pioneers recorded multi-hit games in the win.
- The freshmen duo of Shyanne Fennell and Colleen Walsh combined to throw SHU's 11th shutout of the season.
- Kruger's home run in the fourth inning was the first of her collegiate career.
- Fennell has earned-back-to-back wins in her last two appearances in the circle.
- Desrosiers extended her hitting streak to 11 straight games.
- Kruger now leads the team with four multi-RBI games on the season.
The Pioneers make the trek up to the "Pine Tree State" to play a doubleheader against the University of Maine at Kessock Field on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is slated for 11:00 a.m.