FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart University posted 19 hits on the day and moved to 6-2 in Northeast Conference with a doubleheader sweep over Robert Morris on Sunday. The Pioneers (23-15, 6-2 NEC) downed the Colonials (10-26, 1-5 NEC) 4-1 to start the day before a dominating 8-2 victory in game two at Pioneer Park.
Game One – SHU 4, RMU 1
Bottom of the 1st inning… The Pioneers crossed home the first run of the game as Hailey Desrosiers scored on a passed ball with two outs.
Bottom of the 2nd inning… SHU picked up a single and a pair of one-out walks to load the bases in the second. Desrosiers lifted the sacrifice fly to left field to bring the score to 2-0.
Top of the 3rd inning… RMU finally scratched a run with Kaitlyn Clark ripped a one-out home run over the left field wall.
Bottom of the 6th inning… The Pioneers scored two more runs in the sixth including one on an error at first base as Stephanie Mangiameli hit the RBI grounder. Kira Ferraiolo later dropped the bloop single to left field for the final run of the game.
-The Pioneers recorded eight hits in game one with Desrosiers and Jennie Boisvert leading the way with two each.
- Orosco fired seven strong innings allowing just one run on three hits. She recorded four strikeouts in the game.
Game Two – SHU 8, RMU 2
Bottom of the 1st inning… Desrosiers led off the inning with a home run to right-center field to start things off. SHU recorded a walk and a single with one out to continue the inning. Lauren Delgadillo ripped the RBI double to left center to score run number two. After a pitching change, Boisvert ripped a line drive home run off the scoreboard in center field to bring the score to 5-0.
Top of the 5th inning… The Colonials got two runs back in the fifth as Olivia Lorusso recorded the RBI triple down the right-field line. Briana Bunner knocked her in with a sacrifice fly to left field.
Bottom of the 6th inning… The Pioneers drove in their first run of the inning on a throwing error by the pitcher on a bunt attempt that scored Chloe Weeks from first base. Lindsey Spitz drove in the second run of the inning on a RBI double to left center. Fillmore ended the scoring with a RBI single to centerfield.
- Eight Pioneers contributed on the 11 hits in game two with Bevino, Desrosiers and Delgadillo recording two hits each.
- Boisvert recorded a career-high three runs batted in on her third home run of the season.
- McCann fired 11 strikeouts in game two for the complete-game win.
- Orosco and McCann both earned their 10th wins of the season, hurling complete games in the sweep. McCann has posted back-to-back 10 win seasons in the circle.
- The Pioneers tied their win total from a season ago with 23 on the year.
- Desrosiers extended her hitting streak to 10 in a row in the sweep.
The Pioneers stay at home on Wednesday, April 18 for a single game against Yale at 3:30 p.m.