FAIRFIELD, Conn.— Junior Emily Orosco fired a two-hit shutout in game two as the Sacred Heart University softball team split its doubleheader against Bryant on Saturday.
The Bulldogs (10-23, 4-3 NEC) used a four-run sixth to take game one 5-2 before the Pioneers (21-15, 4-2 NEC) battled back with a 2-0 win in game two at Pioneer Park. Orsoco has fired four shutouts in her last four starts in the circle for SHU.
Game One – Bryant 5, SHU 2
Top of the 3rd inning… The Bulldogs got runners in scoring position to start the frame before SHU got two quick outs. Bryant was able to scrap in the first run on a passed ball for the 1-0 lead.
Bottom of the 4th inning… SHU worked runners on the corners with one out as Hailey Desrosiers recorded the single to right field and Fallon Bevino earned the walk. Desrosiers advanced to third on a fly out by Kelyn Fillmore. Katelyn Christian recorded the RBI single to third to tie the game at 1-1.
Top of the 6th inning… Bryant picked up five hits in the sixth inning including a three-run triple by Kaleigh Goulart.
Bottom of the 7th inning… SHU recorded its second run of the game with a two-out RBI single by Desrosiers to score.
- The Bulldogs outhit the Pioneers 8-4 in game two.
- Shyanne Fennell recorded a scoreless inning and a third in relief of Kristen McCann.
Game Two – SHU 2, Bryant 0
Bottom of the 1st inning… The Pioneers jumped out with a hot start in the first as Lauren Delgadillo recorded the one-out double. Fillmore advanced her to third on a single to right before Bevino lifted the RBI single to left for the 1-0 lead.
Bottom of the 5th inning… Fillmore opened the inning with a double to the gap in right center. Pinch runner Addison Landry would advance to third on a wild pitch two batters later to give SHU a chance of adding an insurance run. Jennie Boisvert delivered with an RBI sacrifice fly to left to bring the score to 2-0.
- The Pioneers recorded seven hits in game two with Bevino and Fillmore recording multi-hit games.
- Orosco recorded double-digit strikeouts for the sixth time this season.
- SHU has now recorded four shutouts in six games to start NEC play.
- Desrosiers extended her hitting streak to eight in a row, while Kylee Harvey has also hit safely in the last six games.
- Bevino extended her team-leading 11 multi-hit games with a pair of base knocks in game two.
- Orosco recorded her third straight shutout in league play and fifth this season, she has fanned 36 batters in 21 innings thus far.
The Pioneers wrap up the weekend with a doubleheader against Robert Morris tomorrow at Pioneer Park. First pitch is now at 10:00 a.m. due to impending weather expected later in the day.