FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart University softball team recorded a season-high three home runs to down crosstown rival, Fairfield 6-3 on Thursday afternoon.
The Pioneers (20-14) broke a 3-3 ball game against the Stags (12-20) in the bottom of the third with a leadoff home run from Fallon Bevino and a two-run shot from Kelyn Fillmore to take the second straight meeting from the school across town.
Bottom of the 1st inning… Hailey Desrosiers gave the Pioneers the 2-0 lead with a two-run home run over the left field wall.
Top of the 2nd inning… The Stags got the first two runners on to lead off the inning before Alisha Marshall knocked an RBI single to right centerfield. Amanda Ulzheimer then beat of the throw at short for an RBI infield single to tie the game at 2-2.
Bottom of the 2nd inning… The Pioneers picked up three walks to load the bases with one out in the third. Lauren Delgadillo worked the five-pitch at-bat into an RBI walk to give SHU the 3-2 lead.
Top of the 3rd inning… Fairfield responded by working the bases loaded to lead off the inning and would tie the game up on an RBI sacrifice fly by Makenna DiGuilio.
Bottom of the 3rd inning… Bevino led off the inning with a home run over the left field wall for her fourth home run of the season. Katelyn Christian then worked a walk before SHU recorded its second out of the inning. Fillmore ripped a two-run shot to left field to bring the score to the eventual final at 6-3.
- Three of the Pioneers six hits in the game came off the long ball.
- Desrosiers led SHU with her eighth multi-hit game and extended her hit streak to six in a row.
- Shyanne Fennell earned her first career win in relief for the Pioneers.
- SHU has now won two in a row over Fairfield and will meet again later this month at Alumni Softball Field on Tuesday, April 24.
- The Pioneers hit three home runs in a game for the first time since May 2, 2016, at Hartford.
- SHU also reached 20 home runs for the season, reaching the mark for the first time since the 2013 season.
The Pioneers head back into Northeast Conference play on Saturday as they welcome Bryant to Pioneer Park for a doubleheader. First pitch is slated for 1:00 p.m.