WILMINGTON, N.C.— The Sacred Heart University softball team split day two of the Seahawks Softball Showcase on Saturday. The Pioneers (8-8) fell to hosts UNC Wilmington (7-12) to start the day before edging out North Carolina A&T (3-18) in the nightcap.
Game One – UNCW 4, SHU 2
Bottom of the third inning… The Seahawks opened the scoring in the third as Hannah Adamczyk got on with a one-out single. She proceeded to steal second and then came around to score as an errant throw by Jennie Boisvert.
Bottom of the 4th inning… UNC Wilmington extended its lead in the bottom of the fourth as Booth Braswell and Kaly Winslow recorded RBI singles.
Top of the 6th inning… The Pioneers got going in the sixth as Katelyn Christian picked up the two-out single. Hailey Desrosiers followed up with a single to left field to put runners in scoring position. Caroline Kruger then delivered the two-RBI double to left field to bring the score to 3-2.
Bottom of the 6th inning… The Seahawks extended the lead back to two as Adamczyk recorded the RBI double with two outs.
- The Pioneers recorded eight hits on the day but left seven runners on base.
- Stephanie Mangiameli and Desrosiers led SHU with multi-hit games.
- Kristen McCann dropped the decision allowing three runs on four hits.
- Emily Orosco recorded six strikeouts in two innings of relief.
Game Two – SHU 2, North Carolina A&T 1
Top of the 1st inning… SHU led off the first inning with back-to-back singles by Lauren Delgadillo and Mangiameli. Kelyn Fillmore recorded the sacrifice bunt to advance both runners into scoring position. The Aggies recorded the lineout for the second out but Christian extended the inning with the two-RBI single to right-center field.
Bottom of the 3rd inning… North Carolina A&T started the third with the leadoff hitter reaching on the error. Nathaly Pacheco picked up the RBI single to right field one batter later to cut the SHU lead to one.
- SHU outhit the Aggies 6-5 in the game with Mangiameli and Christian both recording two hits each.
- Colleen Walsh allowed four hits in three innings of work to start the game for the Pioneers.
- Orosco allowed just one hit while striking out eight in four innings of relief.
The Pioneers conclude the spring break trip down south with a 12:30 p.m. game against North Carolina A &T tomorrow at UNC Wilmington.