The Sacred Heart softball team held their annual Breast Cancer game, and went on to sweep the Blackbirds of LIU Brooklyn. The Pioneer bats were hot in both games, as SHU won game one 6-2, and game two 4-1. Game one saw three SHU homeruns, as the Pioneers look to keep rolling into senior night tomorrow at 12:00pm, as they take on Mount St. Mary's in a double header.
Sacred Heart 6 LIU Brooklyn 2
- The Pioneers were first to get on the board, as Hailey Desrosiers led off with a single to left field. Victoria D'Addario would bring her in with a sacrifice fly ball to right field. SHU would end the first inning up 1-0
- LIU Brooklyn threatened to put a run on the board, as they rattled off three straight hits, but Lauren Delgadillo would show off her arm, gunning out a base runner from center field at the home plate.
- The Pioneers transferred the momentum from the Delgadillo throw into their bats, as Andrea Sidor lead off with a homerun to left field, followed by a single from D'Addario. Sacred Heart wasn't done there, as they capitalized on an error from the right fielder, to bring in D'Addario, taking a 3-0 lead
- The Pioneers bats weren't done, as D'Addario hit a solo homerun in the bottom of the 5th, putting SHU up 4-0
- The team wanted to give pitcher Jamie Carlson a cushion going into the final inning, as Stephanie Mangiameli hit a two run homerun to give SHU a 6-0 lead going into the final inning
- Carlson shined on the mound, striking out five Blackbirds, and throwing six scoreless innings.
Sacred Heart 4 LIU Brooklyn 1
- The Pioneers started the first inning loading the bases up for Kristen McCann, who brought in Sidor to put SHU up 1-0
- SHU's defense was on point holding the Blackbirds scoreless in the opening three innings, with catcher Chloe Weeks throwing out a running trying to take second to end the top of third
- SHU went on a two out rally, as D'Addario started things with a double, directly followed by a Katelyn Christian double to bring her in. The Pioneers weren't done there, as McCann ripped a single, followed by a Dubbioso single to bring in Christina, leaving the score 3-0 in the third inning.
- The Blackbirds would respond picking up a run in the top of the fourth, but SHU would grab a run of their own in the bottom of the fourth to move the score to 4-1
- Each team would remain scoreless to end the game with SHU on top 4-1
- McCann would throw a gem, only allowing three hits, and striking out five Blackbirds