The Sacred Heart softball team picked up a big win over the Gaels of Iona, coming from a big first inning. Stephanie Appleberg was the leading contributor after a triple in the first inning as she picked up three RBI's. Jamie Carlson continued to display her dominance on the mound as she picked up her sixth win of the season. The Pioneers are back at home this Sunday, as they take on the Blue Devils of Central Connecticut at 12:00pm in a double header.
Sacred Heart 4 Iona 0
- Lauren Delgadillo started things off in the first inning as she drew a walk, followed by another walk from Hailey Desrosiers. Katelyn Christian singled to left center to load the bases up with no outs.
- The Gaels regrouped after picking up two Pioneers pop ups, but Appelberg stole the show as she ripped a triple to right center to clear the bases, and tally three RBI's
- The Pioneers would pick up another run in the first after a wild pitch, bringing in Appelberg
- The Pioneers struggled at the plate in the remainder of the game as they picked up one hit outside of the first inning. Cierra Casale hit a double to lead off the inning in the bottom of the fourth
- The Pioneer defense was top notch as they committed no errors on the day
- Carlson struck out seven batters on the day, as she threw her fourth shutout of the season. Carlson leads the northeast conference in strikeouts with 85, and sits third in the NEC with a 2.52 ERA