The Sacred Heart University women's soccer team fell 2-1 to Northeast Conference regular season champion Central Connecticut State University Sunday afternoon on Park Avenue Field. The loss drops the Pioneers to 9-7-2 on the year and 6-3-1 in league play, while the Blue Devils improve to 10-4-4 overall and 8-1-1 in conference action.
CCSU scored twice in the first 24:37 of play, and held that lead until a Meadow Mancini tally at 78:06. The Pioneers outshot CCSU 9-4 in the second-half
The Pioneers are next in action on Friday, November 8 at the NEC Tournament. CCSU will host the tournament with Bryant, FDU and SHU.
- Emily Hogan scored the first goal, on a PK 7:07 into the game
- Giavanna Inzerillo collected a loose ball in the box and knocked it in at 24:37
- Mancini shot from the touch line on the near post and beat the keeper over her left shoulder to make it 2-1
- The Pioneers had a free kick that went high in the final minutes, putting pressure on the Blue Devils, but could not find the equalizer
By The Numbers
- SHU finished with an 11-10 edge in shots and a 6-4 edge in corner kicks
- CCSU was whistled for a dozen fouls, to the Pioneers 10
- Elyssa Kipperman made five saves in 74:15, allowing one goal, for SHU
- Amanda McQuillan stopped four shots in the full 90 for CCSU