FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart Women's soccer team (0-1-0 overall, 0-0 NEC) fell to Iona (1-0-0 overall, 0-0 MAAC) this morning 3-2 to wrap up their 2018-2019 season opener. Maranda Gibbons and Christina Palazana tallied the two goals for the Pioneers. SHU returns to action on August 24 when they travel to face Temple.
Iona jumped out to an early lead after Amber Crispin scored two minutes in to give the Gaels a 1-0 lead. Iona would add one more goal four minutes later scored by Crispin again with an assist by Mariana Jaramillo. SHU would tally a total of four shots in the first half with all four resulting in saves.
After an early goal by Iona kicked off the second half, the Pioneers would get to a better start as Maranda Gibbons would find the net off an assist by Emily Rosso to cut the Iona lead to 3-1. That resulted in the first goal of the season for SHU as well as Gibbons. Then in the final seconds of the half Christina Palanza would launch a goal to make the final score 3-2. SHU returns to action on August 24 when they travel to face Temple. Gametime is set for 6:00 p.m.
- Lindsay Corallo had two quick shots, one wide left and one high at the 10 and 14 minute mark.
- Nicole Sambuco tallied three saves in the first half.
- SHU led the first half in corner kicks with three.
- Gibbons cut Iona lead to two at 73:39 off an assist by Emily Rosso
- Palanza scored the final goal of the game at 89:42 off an assist by Caitlyn Buckley
- Sambuco tallied three more saves in the second to end her day with a total of six.
- SHU led Iona in corner kicks 8-2.