Sacred Heart Battles Back for 10-9 Double OT Win at Robert Morris

Sacred Heart Battles Back for 10-9 Double OT Win at Robert Morris

MOON TOWNSHIP, PA (April 5, 2012) - The Sacred Heart women's lacrosse team battle back from three goals down in the second half, scoring the final three goals of regulation to set up junior Emily Pepe's (East Quogue, NY) game-winner in double overtime for a 10-9 win at Robert Morris Thursday afternoon.  SHU improves to 4-7 and 3-2 in the Northeast Conference with the win.

The Pioneers trailed 9-6 with 18:51 left in the second half but kept the Colonials off the scoreboard for the remainder of the half and throughout the first overtime to set up Pepe's game-winner.  The junior attacker finished with two goals and a pair of assists in the win.  Freshman Taylor Babin (Ellicott City, MD) scored three times and assisted on Pepe's game-winning goal.

The two teams battled to a 5-5 tie after the first 30 minutes of play.  Babin tacked on a pair of first half goals and gave the Pioneers a 5-4 lead with 2:18 left finishing an Alyssa Dorsey (Massapequa, NY) pass.  RMU's MacKenzie Lawler tied it with 1:36 on the clock, unassisted.

SHU jumped on the scoreboard first to open the second half, with senior Kaitlin Rochler (Wading River, NY) posting an unassisted goal at 26:20.  The Colonials controlled the next eight minutes of action and ran off four-straight goals to lead 9-6.   Courtney Sicinski scored two of her game-high four goals on the run.  Sicinski followed Rochler's goal with one just 11 seconds later and then scored again at 25:20.

Kristin Yoviene ended the run and the Colonials scoring for the day at 18:51, posting an unassisted marker.  The Pioneers began to claw back in it as senior Kate Kmiotek (Farmingville, NY) ended over a 14 minute scoring drought with a goal from Pepe at 12:07.  Babin converted for the third time to pull within 9-8, scoring on an 8-meter attempt.

Pepe would set up the game-tying goal at 5:11 following a RMU turnover.  After a Kaitlin Pentz save, SHU's Aurelie Pluijmakers (Freehold, NJ) scooped up the ground ball as the Pioneers reset their offense.  Pepe set up Rochler for the tying goal 24 seconds later.

Both teams got shots off in the closing minutes.  The Pioneers took the ensuing draw and Pluijmakers hit the post at  followed by a shot wide by Kmiotek.  After a SHU turnovers, the Colonials got a shot off with 11 seconds left but freshman Kelly Keenan (Wantagh, NY) made the stop to preserve the tie.

Each team managed just one shot in the opening overtime, with both goalies making a stop.  In the second overtime, SHU took the draw and Pepe got a shot off just eight seconds in but was turned away by Pentz.   Robert Morris' Erin Moosop was given a yellow card at 5:05 and the Pioneers were able to take advantage of the man-up chance.  The game-winner came less than a minute later as Babin found Pepe.

The Pioneers will stay in Pennsylvania and travel to Saint Francis (PA) for a 12 noon start on Saturday.