ERIE, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team dropped the series finale to Mercyhurst this afternoon by a final score of 9-0. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Oct. 18 when the Pioneers begin NEWHA play at Saint Anselm. Puck-drop is set for 7:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would be outshot in the opening period 29-9 with Mercyhurst having 21 shots on goal while SHU was held to just six.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez would tally 20 saves in the period while just allowing one goal.
- At 6:37 in the period, Mercyhurst would tally the first goal of the game off a shot by Sarah Nelles to give the Lakers a 1-0 lead.
- Both sides would go 0-1 on power-play opportunities in the period.
- The Pioneers was outshot in the second period 24-9 while SHU tallied four shots on goal and Mercyhurst tallied 19.
- The Lakers would tally five goals in the period first at 2:02 in the period off a shot by Maggie Knott while the team was short-handed to give the Lakers a 2-0 lead.
- Goals for the Lakers followed as Megan Korzack (2:55), Alexa Vasko (2:55, 7:50) and Emma Nuutinen would tally the goals for Mercyhurst in the period to give the Lakers a 6-0 lead heading into the third period.
- SHU was outshot in the final period as the Pioneers took nine shots while Mercyhurst tallied 37.
- Mercyhurst would tack on three more goals in the period as Korzack (7:04), Michelle Robillard (10:35) and Summer Rae-Dobson (16:34) each recorded a goal for the Lakers in the period.
- SHU would be able to fire off four shots on goal but all were saved to give the Lakers the 9-0 shutout.