MANCHESTER, N.H.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey season came to a close on Saturday as they fell to Franklin Pierce in the NEWHA Semi-finals by a final score of 3-2. The Pioneers record finished to be 20-8-4 overall and 9-4-3 in NEWHA play.
- The Pioneers would be the first team to jump on the board as junior Victoria Grimmer nailed the first goal of the game off an assist by fell junior Maddie Bishop to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 at 3:09 in the period.
- But Franklin Pierce would respond later in the period courtesy of a goal by Bridgette Prentiss at 12:10 while the Ravens were on the power-play to even the score at 1-1.
- SHU did outshoot the Raven eight shots to holding Franklin Pierce to just six in the period.
- The second period would be all about Franklin Pierce as they tallied to goals in the period to take a 3-1 lead heading into the final period of the game.
- The first would come at 9:28 in the second off the stick of Kiki Doucette while Franklin Pierce was on the power-play to put the Ravens ahead 2-1.
- Then at 12:10 in the period, Nicole Amato would tally an even strength goal to put the Ravens ahead 3-1 heading into the third.
- Franklin Pierce fired on all cylinders in the period tallying 13 shots in the period while holding SHU to just nine.
- The Pioneers would be able to rally a comeback in the third period as midway through the period junior Jayne Lewis would knock in an unassisted goal at 10:10 in the period to tighten the Franklin Pierce lead to 3-2.
- But strong defense by the Ravens would be just enough to halt the Pioneers attack as SHU would fall the Ravens by a final score of 3-2 and end the Pioneers run at a second NEWHA Championship opportunity.