COLCHESTER, VT. – The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team earned its fourth NEWHA win this afternoon with a convincing 8-1 victory over Saint Michael's. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday January 18 when the Pioneers host Quinnipiac. Puck-drop is set for 7:30 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Purple Knights 12-11 in the opening period as SHU would net four goals in the first to give the Pioneers a 4-0 lead.
- The first goal came at 8:25 after Saint Michael's tried to clear the puck away, Olivia Bryant slapped it back in to junior Maddie Bishop and lifted the puck over the goalie to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.
- The second goal came off the stick of Lexi Edwards at 9:58 off an assist by freshman Nicole Guidi to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- The third came off a breakaway by senior Haley Payne at 13:57 as she snipped it in the right top corner to give the Pioneers a 3-0 lead.
- The final goal of the period came off of the stick of freshman Nicole Guidi as she received a pass from fellow freshman Samantha Shoebottom and fired in the goalies rebound at 17:06 to put SHU ahead 4-0.
- SHU would once again tally 12 shots in the second period while holding Saint Michael's to just nine.
- Both sides would each net one goal in the second the first coming from the Purple Knights at 3:51 followed by a goal by Payne this time at 16:12 to close the period with the Pioneers up 5-1.
- The Pioneers would tally the final three goals in the game the first coming off the stick of senior Savannah Hersey at :48 while SHU was on the power play to put the Pioneers ahead 6-1.
- Then 12 minutes later at 12:57, junior Jayne Lewis would net her first goal of the game off an assist by freshman Anna Klein to put SHU ahead 7-1.
- The final goal of the game would come at 13:45 as senior Katie Stueve would net the teams eighth and final goal of the game.