FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Basketball team earned its fourth Northeast Conference victory on Monday as the Pioneers prevailed in the final seconds over Bryant by a final score of 49-48. The Pioneers return to action Saturday, January 19 when SHU takes on Saint Francis Brooklyn. Tip-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
Graduate student Katherine Haines led the Pioneers as she tallied her sixth double-double of the season going 7-15 from the field, 6-6 from the free throw line and racking up 15 boards. This is the second straight double-double she has achieved in a row as she earned one in the team's last game against Wagner. Two other Pioneers scored in double figures as graduate student Erin Storck quietly tallied 11 points going 5-12 from the field and 1-5 from beyond the arc. Sophomore Olivia Dabney tallied her second straight double figure game as she put up 10 points going 4-9 from the field while tallying eight rebounds.
- After both sides held strong defensive play for the first three minutes of the game, the Pioneers would kick off the scoring with a layup by Olivia Dabney to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- After the Dabney layup SHU would go on a 7-3 run courtesy of another three by Dabney.
- The Pioneers would shoot 6-13 from the field while holding Bryant to just 3-14.
- Graduate student Katherine Haines would lead the Pioneers with six points going 3-5 from the field.
- The Pioneers would go just 4-15 from the field in the second quarter while going 4-4 from the free throw line.
- The Pioneers defense held strong though holding the Bulldogs to shooting just 4-22 from the field and just 1-2 from beyond the arc.
- Graduate student Katherine Haines led all scorers at the half as she tallied 12 points going 4-8 from the field and 4-4 from the free throw line. She also tallied seven rebounds and two blocks.
- Sophomore Olivia Dabney was the second highest scorer on the team at the half as she went 3-4 from the field and 1-2 from beyond the arc for a total of 7 points.
- Fellow sophomore Abigail Kangudie tallied four points going 2-3 from the field and tallied three boards.
- The Pioneers would go 5-12 from the field in the third quarter while Bryant would be held to just shooting 5-17.
- Erin Storck led the way with four points in the quarter shooting 2-3 from the field and tallied a rebound.
- Haines would rack up three boards while making a bucket to help the Pioneers stay ahead 39-34 heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Bulldogs were able to tally 15 points in the third to tighten the score to just five.
- The game would go back and forth in lead changes as a total of four lead changes in the quarter between both sides.
- SHU would only shoot 4-16 from the field in the quarter while Bryant shot 6-13 to keep the game within reach of winning.
- The deciding factor came with nine seconds remaining in the fourth quarter when Haines was fouled and was sent to the line to attempt two free throws.
- She banked in both to put the Pioneers ahead 49-48 and as Haley Connors attempted the game winning three for the Bulldogs, Storck swooped in for the block to give the Pioneers the 49-48 victory.