SACRED HEART (9-10, 6-2 NEC) vs. FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON (1-18, 0-8 NEC)
GAME 20 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 2:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The second place Sacred Heart women's basketball team is looking for its seventh straight home win against the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights Saturday afternoon in the William H. Pitt Center. The Knights are still on the hunt for their first Northeast Conference win of the season, and are hoping Saturday may mark the end to their 14-game losing streak.
Series Notes... This is the 24th time in program history the Pioneers have played Fairleigh Dickinson
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 22-1
- Sacred Heart is a perfect 12-0 at home against the Knights
- SHU's only loss to Fairleigh Dickinson came on Jan. 31, 2002 at FDU where the Knights edged out the Pioneers 64-60
- The teams have faced each other twice in the NEC Tournaments, both times in the Quartfinal round. SHU took both matchup, winning 83-55 in 2006 and 62-58 in 2012. Both season, the Pioneers went on to win the championship
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 214-104 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Peter Cinella is entering his seventh season at the helm of the FDU women's basketball program. Last season, FDU missed the NEC Tournament for only the second time under Cinella, falling just short after finishing one game out of the eighth and final spot.
Up Next... The Pioneers hit the road Monday night to face the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds at 7:00 p.m.