FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University wrestling team fell to EIWA rival Hofstra tonight by a final score of 26-11. The loss drops the Pioneers to 5-5 overall on the year and 1-3 in EIWA action while Hofstra improves to 6-3 overall and 5-1 in EIWA matches. The Pioneers will return to action against Brown on Saturday Feb. 23 as the Pioneers conclude the regular season. The Pioneers honored six of the teams seniors tonight including Dom Celli, Chris Cornell, Matt Fallon, Russell Feye, Paul Klee, and Mason Rambarose.
125 Pounds: Ryan Burns (SHU) vs. Dylan Ryder (HOFSTRA) Ryder by decision 6-3, Hofstra 18-6
- Burns would score an early takedown with 2:29 left in the first round to take a 2-0 lead.
- Ryder would score an escape to tighten the lead to 2-1.
- Both sides would tally a point in the second round to make the score 3-2 in favor of Burns.
- A takedown by Ryder would score him two points to take a 4-2 lead with 1:35 remaining in the final round.
- A riding time point would be awarded to Ryder with 56 seconds remaining to make the match score 5-3.
133 Pounds: Anthony Petrillo (SHU) vs. Jacob Martin (HOFSTRA), Martin 13-6, Hofstra 21, SHU 6
- Petrillo would score an early take down to take a 2-0 lead with 2:38 in the first round remaining.
- Martin would score an escape point to tighten the lead to 2-1.
- Then Martin nail a takedown to take a 3-2 lead with 2:02 remaining in the round.
- But Petrillo would tally an escape point to tie the match up a 3-3 with 1:37 left.
- Martin would then score a takedown with 1:12 remaining to take a 5-3 lead.
- Petrillo would be granted an escape point to narrow the score to 5-4.
- An escape point would be granted to Martin as he took a 6-4 lead with 1:29 remaining in the second round.
- A takedown by Martin would score him two more points to take a 8-4 lead with 20 seconds remaining in the second round.
- Petrillo would score an escape point to make the score 8-5 with 1:34 remaining in the final round.
- A riding time point would be awarded to Martin to make the score 10-5 with 1:04 remaining in the round.
- A takedown by Martin would score him two more points in the final seconds.
141 Pounds: Garrett Lambert (Hofstra) vs. Gerard Daly (SHU)- Daly by technical fall 22-6, Hofstra 21 SHU 11.
- A takedown by Daly would score him two points early in the first round with 2:24 remaining in the round to take a 2-0 lead.
- Lambert would respond with a takedown to take a 3-2 lead with 1:57 remaining in the first round.
- An escape by Daly would even the match at 3-3 with 1:20 remaining in the first round.
- Daly would issue a hard takedown to give him a 5-4 lead with 28 seconds remaining in the first round.
- Then again in the closing seconds a second takedown would give him a 9-4 lead heading into the second round.
- An escape would start the second round for Daly to push him ahead 10-4.
- A third take down by Daly would put him ahead 12-5 with 58 seconds remaining in the second round.
- Then Daly would continue his dominance with a takedown with 10 seconds remaining to take a 14-5 lead heading into the third round.
- A near fall by Lambert would score Daly two points to make the score 22-6.
149 Pounds: Chris Cornell (SHU) vs. Holden Heller (HOFSTRA) Heller by technical fall 22-3 (3:26 of riding time), Hofstra 26 SHU 11.
- Heller would score a takedown with 1:26 remaining in the opening round to make the score 2-0.
- But Cornell would tally an escape to earn himself a point to make the match score 2-1.
- A second takedown by Heller would give him a 4-1 lead with 15 seconds remaining in the first round.
- Three more points would be granted to Heller for a near fall to put him ahead 7-1 with 1:22 remaining in the second round.
- An escape by Cornell would score him his second point of the match to make the score 7-2 with 1:45 remaining in the third round.
- A takedown by Heller would put him ahead 9-3 with 1:20 remaining in the third round.
- Heller would score four points to give him points and the win 22-3 by means of a technical fall.
157 Pounds: Ryan Barkett (Hofstra) vs. Paul Klee (SHU)- Barkett by decision 10-4, Hofstra 3, SHU 0
- In the first thirty seconds neither side would tally a point.
- Then at 1:15 in the round Barkett would tally a pair of points on a takedown to take a 2-0 lead.
- But then with 35 seconds left Klee would tally a takedown of his own to tie the score up a 2-2.
- Klee would nail another takedown a 1:18 to put him ahead 4-2.
- Barkett would get a point with 55 secs remaining off an escape to tighten Klee's lead to 4-3.
- But a takedown by Klee would put him ahead 6-3 with 14 seconds remaining in the second round.
- Barkett would tally the first points in the third round with an escape to tighten Klee's lead to 6-4.
- A pair of takedowns by Barkett would score him four points and win by decision 8-4.
165 Pounds: Brandon Levesque (SHU) vs. Ricky Stamm (Hofstra)- Stamm 10-7 by decision, Hofstra 6, SHU 0.
- A takedown by Stamm at 2:09 in the first round would put him up 2-0.
- An escape by Levesque at 1:23 in the round would tighten Stamm's lead to 2-1.
- Levesque would score two points for a takedown with 27 seconds remaining to take a 3-2 lead.
- Stamm would tie the match up at 3-3 with an escape after one round.
- Levesque would find an escape for a point to tighten take a 4-3 lead.
- But a takedown by Stamm would put him ahead 5-4.
- Levesque would counter with an escape score him a point to tie it up 5-5.
- Then with 12 seconds left he would tally a takedown to take a 7-5 lead.
- But Stamm would score three points off a takedown and an escape to take a 8-7 lead heading into the final round.
174 Pounds: Anthony Falbo (SHU) –won by forfeit, Hofstra 6 SHU 6
184 Pounds: Kyle Davis (SHU) vs. Trey Rogers (HOFSTRA)- Rogers by decision 3-2, Hofstra 9, SHU 6.
- A stalemate between both sides would occur as neither wrestler would tally a point in the opening round.
- Rogers would score the opening point with an escape at 1:41 in the second round to take a 1-0 lead.
- An escape by Davis would score him his first point to tie the match up at 1-1.
- But a takedown by Rogers at 1:24 would give an 3-1 edge in the final round.
- Davis would attempt a comeback with another escape to earn him another point to tighten the lead to 3-2.
197 Pounds: Robert Hetherman (SHU) vs. Nezer Haddad (HOFSTRA ) Haddad by decision 5-3, Hofstra 12, SHU 6
- Haddad would force a takedown on Hetherman to take a 2-0 lead with 2:18 remaining in the first round.
- Hetherman would get a point for an escape to score his first point tightening the lead to 2-1.
- At the end of the first round neither wrestler would tally a point keeping Haddads lead a 2-1 heading into the second round.
- Hetherman would tie the match up at 2-2 with an escape with 1:19 remaining in the second round.
- A takedown by Haddad would give him two points and the lead 4-2 with 22 seconds left in the second round.
- An escape by Hetherman would score him a point to tighten the lead to 4-3 but shortly after Haddad would do the same to make the score 5-3.
Heavyweight: Omar Haddad (Hofstra) vs. Dante DelBonis (SHU) – Haddad by decision 3-0, Hofstra 15, SHU 6
- At the end of the first round neither wrestler would be able to tally a point as both sides were in a constant stalemate.
- An escape by Haddad would score him the first point of the match with 1:24 remaining in the second round.
- A takedown by Haddad with seven seconds left in the round would put him up 3-0.
Final Team Points: SHU 11 Hofstra 26