LORETTO, Pa. – The Sacred Heart men's volleyball team wrapped up its Pennsylvania road trip Saturday night with a 3-1 (19-25, 25-19, 22-25, 19-25) loss to the Saint Francis U Red Flash at DeGol Arena.
SHU – 2-5, 0-3 EIVA
Saint Francis U – 7-8, 2-1 EIVA
First Set: Saint Francis U 25-19
- The two teams traded points early in the set, playing to an 8-8 tie. Saint Francis U broke the tie with back-to-back aces from Stephen Braswell to take a 10-8 lead.
- The Red Flash went on a 6-1 run, getting two kills from Brandon Buck, to go up 19-13.
- SHU cut the deficit to four at 22-18 on a Shawn Tischler kill, but Saint Francis U won three of the next four points to win the set 25-19.
Second Set: SHU 25-19
- The Pioneers won eight of the first 11 points. Tischler and Michael McLaughlin had back-to-back blocks to open the set.
- The Red Flash rattled off three straight points on kills by Braswell and Cole Thompson, as well as a block by Buck and Keith Kegerreis, to get within two at 13-11.
- SHU went on a 4-0 run late in the set, as a block by McLaughlin and Waumans gave the Pioneers set point at 24-17. Jakob Karlsson put down a kill to give SHU the set 25-19.
Third Set: Saint Francis U 25-22
- There were eight ties in the first 22 points, as the Pioneers and Red Flash played to an 11-11 tie.
- Sparked by kills from Buck and Cole Thompson, Saint Francis U went on a 6-2 run to take a 17-14 lead.
- After calling a timeout at 22-19, SHU tied the set 22-22 on kills by McLaughlin and Karlsson as well as a block by Chatterton and Karlsson.
- The Red Flash won the next three points to take the set 25-22.
Fourth Set: Saint Francis U 25-19
- A 4-0 Saint Francis U run put the Red Flash ahead 12-7. Braswell had three kills during that stretch.
- SHU took advantage of five Red Flash errors to go on an 8-2 run to take a 15-14 lead. Tischler had two kills during the run.
- A Kegerreis kill started a 5-1 Red Flash run to put Saint Francis U back in the lead 19-16.
- After a Chatterton kill got SHU back within two at 19-17, the Red Flash won six of the last eight points to win the set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
Key Stats and Notes
- Tischler led SHU with 11 kills, adding four blocks.
- McLaughlin had a career-high seven blocks.
- SHU had 13 blocks as a team and outhit Saint Francis U .222-192.
- Braswell led all players with 17 kills.
SHU opens a two-match weekend against George Mason on Friday, March 2 at the Pitt Center. First serve is 7:00 p.m.