FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's volleyball team defeated the Lasell Lasers 3-1 (25-12, 25-15, 24-26, 25-9) on Wednesday night at the William H. Pitt Center for its second straight win.
Sacred Heart - 2-4
Lasell - 1-5
Set 1: SHU 25-12
- Lasell went on a 5-0 run to get back within one point at 8-7. A Nathan Gallo kill, along with a trio of SHU errors propelled the run.
- However, SHU powered right back as a Noah Ricchetti kill sparked three straight Pioneer points, making the score 13-9 and prompting a Lasell timeout.
- With the score 14-11, a Bloomquist kill started a run of 10 straight SHU points that put the Pioneers up 24-11. Bloomquist had three kills and two blocks during that stretch.
- SHU hit .458 for the first set held the Lasers to a -.111. Shawn Tischler led the way with six kills for the set.
Set 2: SHU 25-15
- The two sides traded points early and often, playing to a 12-12 tie.
- A Tischler kill kickstarted a 6-0 SHU run to put the Pioneers in front 18-12.
- Leading 20-15, SHU closed out the set with five straight points to win it 25-15. Tischler had two aces in the final five points as Rob Chatterton added a kill and a block.
- Sacred Heart again hit a stellar .428 for the set, and Rob Chatterton added a pair of blocks.
Set 3: Lasell 26-24
- The teams were tied at 5-5 before a pair of SHU attack errors gave Lasell a 7-5 lead.
- The Lasers led 13-10 when a Robert Costigan kill led to three straight Pioneer points to tie the set 13-13.
- Connor Mahony capped a 5-1 SHU run with a kill to give the Pioneers an 18-15 lead. Lasell then won the next four points to take a 19-18 lead.
- The Lasers had set point at 24-23 before a Costigan kill tied the set. A SHU error and an Aprea kill gave Lasell the set 26-24.
Set 4: Sacred Heart 25-9
- Kills by Mahony, Chatterton, and Costigan set SHU up with an early 7-3 lead.
- Three more kills by Chatterton as well as a Costigan block extended the Pioneers lead to 11-4.
- SHU went on an 8-2 run, as two more kills by Mahony and Chatterton and an ace by Chatterton gave the Pioneers a 19-6 lead.
- The Pioneers closed out the set on a 7-1 run, as kills by Costigan, Wiesniewski, and McLaughlin capped off the win.
- SHU hit a season-high .305 for the match, holding Lasell to a -.055.
- Costigan led the Pioneers with 11 kills, hitting .429. Tischler hit .643 with nine kills.
- Ricchetti had 38 assists and seven digs.
Sacred Heart kicks off a four-match conference road trip as they travel to #9 Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions on Friday, February 16 at 7 PM.