FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's volleyball team picked up their first win of the season in four sets, 3-1 (25-12, 22-25, 25-13, 28-26), on Friday night as the defeated the Belmont Abbey Crusaders at the William H. Pitt Center.
Sacred Heart - 1-4
Belmont Abbey - 2-4
Set 1: Sacred Heart 25-12
- SHU jumped out to a 6-1 lead, highlighted by three points from Noah Richetti on two aces and a kill.
- The Crusaders cut the deficit to four at 9-5 on a kill by Brian Long. SHU then went on a 4-0 run, increasing their lead to 13-5 on a Shawn Tischler kill.
- Taylor Bloomquist put the Pioneers up by 12, 20-8, with his first kill of the night.
- SHU hit .400 in the set with nine kills to just one error. Belmont Abbey was held to .037.
Set 2: Belmont Abbey 25-22
- The teams traded the first four points to open the set. A SHU service error sparked a 6-1 run that put the Crusaders ahead 8-3.
- Belmont Abbey took its largest lead of the match at 16-7 on a William Morris kill that capped a stretch of three straight Crusader points. Morris was also part of consecutive blocks with Gavin Schaffer.
- Back-to-back Bloomquist blocks helped the Pioneers to three straight points, cutting the deficit to 16-10.
- Belmont Abbey battled right back with four straight points as a Liam Maxwell kill gave them a 24-21 lead. SHU fought off one set point, but another Maxwell kill gave the Crusaders the set 25-22 and tied the match at a set apiece.
Set 3: Sacred Heart 25-13
- The two sides traded points early and often, playing to an 8-8 tie.
- Belmont Abbey took their first lead of the set, 9-8, after a Bryce Sullivan service ace. After a timeout, SHU took six of the next seven points to take a 14-10 lead.
- The Pioneers led 17-12 when an Emerson Waumans kill sparked a 5-0 run to give SHU a 22-12 advantage. Waumans also had back-to-back aces in that stretch.
- Tischler clinched the set with SHU's third ace of the set.
- The Pioneers hit .500 in the set, holding Belmont Abbey to a -.182.
Set 4: Sacred Heart 28-26
- Kills by Waumans and McLaughlin helped SHU open the set with a 5-1 lead.
- A block by Tischler and Rob Chatterton gave the Pioneers a 10-5 lead. SHU led by as much as seven when a kill by Richetti made the score 16-9.
- A Long kill for Belmont Abbey kickstarted a 10-0 Crusaders run to put the visitors ahead 19-16. Maxwell had three straight kills at one point of that stretch, and four in the run overall.
- Trailing 22-19, SHU took advantage of two Belmont Abbey errors, a Tischler ace, and a Ricchetti kill to take a 23-22 lead.
- With the set tied 26-26, a Waumans kill gave the Pioneers' their fourth match point with his fourth kill of the set. Chatterton and Tischler then blocked Maxwell to clinch the set 28-26 and the match 3-1.
Key Stats And Notes
- Waumans and Ricchetti led the way for Sacred Heart, each with eight kills. Ricchetti hit .800 in the match and added 15 assists. Waumans led the match with three aces.
- Tischler had six kills, two aces, and a match-high seven blocks. Bloomquist and Chatterton each had five blocks. Joshua Ayzenberg had a season-high 22 digs.
- Liam Maxwell led Belmont Abbey and both teams with 17 kills.
- Sacred Heart hit .225 for the match, while Belmont Abbey hit .089. The Pioneers had a season-high 16.5 blocks.
Sacred Heart continues their brief homestand as they take on the Lasell on Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 7:00 PM at the William H. Pitt Center.