FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart men's soccer team rallied with two goals in the second half, and a game winning goal in overtime by senior Nick Zorbo to defeat Bryant 3-2 on Friday afternoon at Campus Field.
The Pioneers' (4-9-2, 2-4 NEC) offense came alive in the second half en route to their second straight Northeast Conference victory, outshooting the Bulldogs (2-10-2, 1-2-2 NEC) 10-6 in the second half. After much back and forth in the first half, Bryant got on the board as Jake Lamar chipped in a rebound off the crossbar in the 37th minute. The Bulldogs would get their second tally as Curtis Orth played James Cochrane's free kick off the bounce to slip by freshman goalkeeper Robert Strain to take the 2-0 lead.
Sacred Heart began to rally as freshman Hadyno Sarr added his tally off a deflection in the 64th minute. Sarr has scored in back to back games for the Pioneers. As the final seconds counted away in regulation, freshman CJ Weinstein laid up a ball from midfield to the middle of the box for junior Ermir Celaj to put a header past Bulldogs keeper Olivier Larente and force overtime. In overtime, senior Julian Linke bounced a loose ball off a deflection from a Bryant defender to Zorbo to chip it in for his first career tally and give the Pioneers the victory.
The Pioneers will return to the pitch on Tuesday November 1 for a non-conference matchup against Columbia. A senior day ceremony for the six Sacred Heart seniors will take place prior to the 5pm kickoff.
- Strain made a big stop on header attempt by Cochrane in the 15th minute.
- Larente made a big stop on a shot by Saunchez in the 30th minute.
- Lamar chipped in a shot on the bounce off the crossbar to give the Bryant the 1-0 lead before the half.
- Cochrane laid up a free kick to Curtis Orth to chip in from five yards out in the 55th minute.
- Sarr scored the SHU goal as he put in a deflection from seven yards out past Larente to make the score 2-1.
- Strain with a huge diving stop on a shot by Orth in the 79th minute.
- Aaron Schwartz laid up a beautiful cross to Celaj but his header attempt is saved by Larente in the 82nd minute.
- Celaj tied the game up at 2-2 with four seconds to spare in regulation.
- Zorbo netted the game winning goal on the pass from linke in the 92nd minute.