LOUDONVILLE, N.Y.—The Sacred Heart men's soccer played Siena to a 1-1 draw in double overtime on Saturday afternoon. An own goal by the Pioneers (1-4-1) in the 86th minute allowed the Saints (1-4-2) to stay in the game.
Both teams had equal opportunities on goal, with Siena leading the Pioneers nine shots on goal to seven. Freshman goalkeeper Robert Strain (Danbury, Conn.) put up a new career best with eight saves is the game, including three in extra time. After a standstill for much of the game, the Pioneers took a 1-0 lead in the 80th minute on junior Ermir Celaj (Brookfield, Conn.) goal off a deflection. That was Celaj's first goal of the season. Siena would get on the board after a miscue by the Pioneers defense sent the ball into their own net. The Saints would out shoot the Pioneers five to one in extra time, freshman Iudy lopes had the final shot in the 107th minute but the score remained 1-1.
Sacred Heart returns home for a matchup against Holy Cross on Wednesday September 13, kickoff is set for 6:00pm.
- Shaquille Saunchez has his first of four shots saved by Saints keeper Aleks Radosavljevic in the 14th minute.
- Strain gets his first save in the 33rd minute on Junior Rosero's attempt.
- Pioneers fire off four shots in four minutes with the last one by Aaron Schwartz being saved by Radosavljevic.
- Celaj nabs his first goal of the season off a deflection in the 80th minute.
- Siena gets the equalizer in the 86th minute as Sacred Heart has a defensive miscue that leads to an own goal.
- Strain keeps the game tied thanks to two saves, one in the first minute of overtime. The second in the 95th minute.
- Strain hauls in the last Siena shot by Rosero in the 104th minute.
- Lopes misses wide in the last attempt for the Pioneers.