FAIRFIELD, CONN. (September 14, 2016)—Despite Shaquille Saunchez's (Kingston, Jamaica) two goals, the Sacred Heart men's soccer team (1-4) lost an overtime battle to Saint Peter's (1-3-1) Wednesday night on Campus Field, 3-2. After finishing regulation tied at two, the Ezequiel Cei netted the game-winner for the Peacocks in the 99th minute.
The Pioneers struck first in the game's 21st minute. Matt Manzo (Shelton, Conn.) sent a pass sailing to Saunchez 20 yards out. The senior dribbled moving a couple feet closer to the goal before taking the shot that gave SHU a 1-0 advantage. Just when it looked like Sacred Heart would carry that lead into the second half, the Peacocks evened the score in the 43rd minute with a goal from Rodrigo DaSilva.
Once again in the second half, Saunchez put SHU on top. In the 57th minute, a long pass from Riley Sullivan (East Setauket, N.Y.) sent a hard pass just five yards in front of the goal, landing just steps from Saunchez who tapped it past the keeper for his third goal of the season. While the Pioneers were unable to score again in regulation, Saint Peter's knotted the game at 2-2 with Michael Crentsil's goal in the 80th minute.
SHU got the first chance at the golden goal in overtime, but Kieran Walsh's (River Vale, N.J.) shot soared over the crossbar. With both teams battling for control, Cei took a long shot from 30 yards out that went in the top left corner clinching the game for the Peacocks.
The Pioneers return to action Saturday taking on Siena on the road at 4:00 p.m.
- Saint Peter's offense outshot SHU 5-3 in the first half
- Saunchez netted his second goal of the season for the game's first score in the 21st minute, but DaSilva made it a tie game at halftime netting one for Saint Peter's
- SHU goalkeeper Robert Strain (Danbury, Conn.) made his first two of four saves in the opening period
- The Pioneers outshot Saint Peter's 6-5 in the latter half, but only managed to put two on goal, one of which was Saunchez's second goal of the game in the 57th minute
- Crentsil put one of the Peacocks' three shots on goal in the net evening the score and ultimately sending it to overtime
- SHU got off the first shot of overtime, but that would be all the Pioneers could get going as their physical game ended up hurting them in the end. The final of Sacred Heart's fouls gave Saint Peter's the ball in the 99th minute allowing the Peacock offense to set up for Cei's gamewinner