NEW HAVEN, Conn.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team fell to Yale 2-0 in New Haven on Saturday night. The Bulldogs (1-0-1) found the net twice in the second half to pull away from the Pioneers (1-3).
After a back and forth first half in which Sacred Heart put up six shots and Yale had seven shots. The Bulldogs finally broke the game open in the second half. Drawing a penalty inside the box in the 47th minute, resulting in a penalty kick goal by Nicky Downs. Yale would go up 2-0 in the 70th minute on John Leisman's goal, he was assisted by Downs. In his first game of the season, junior midfielder Ezra Siyadhuba (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) lead the Pioneers with seven shots in the game and Freshman goalkeeper Robert Strain (Danbury, Conn.) had a game high five saves.
The Pioneers will take on Saint Peter's in their home opener at Campus Field on Wednesday September 14.
- Strain hauls in his first five save in the 10th minute on Downs first shot.
- Siyadhuba's first shot of 2016 misses wide in the 21st minute.
- Hadyno Sarr's shot is saved by Kees Schipper at the 33rd minute mark.
- Yale draws a penalty in the box in 47th minute, resulting in Down's penalty kick.
- Leisman scores the second goal for the Bulldogs in the 70th minute, assisted by Downs.
- Siyadhuba's last shot is blocked by Yale defender in the 87th minute.