BURLINGTON, Vt.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team was defeated by Bucknell, 2-1 on the final day of the Peter Baldwin Memorial Classic at Vermont. A late penalty kick goal in the 82nd minute put the Bison (1-2-1) over the Pioneers (1-2-0).
Sacred Heart's offense got off to a slow start with just one shot in the first half, while Bucknell shot 11 times. The Bison finally found the back of the net with first score of the game off a goal by Andrew Leischner, he was assisted by Nick King in the 29th minute.
The Pioneers offense would get going in the second half where they outshot the Bison eight to six. Junior Matt Manzo (Shelton, Conn.) got the equalizer for Sacred Heart in the 66th minute as he split the defense and fired a rocket 20 yards out to the right side of the goal.
All tied up at 1-1, Bucknell drew a foul in the box in the 82nd minute that set up Zack Rockmore's penalty kick goal for the 2-1 lead. Pioneers would fight on, coming inches away from forcing overtime as sophomore Sam MacPherson's (Red Bank, N.J.) shot hit the crossbar with three seconds left in the game.
Senior Shaquille Saunchez was selected to the Peter Baldwin Memorial Conference team for his performance this weekend.
- Robert Strain picked up his first of four saves on the afternoon at the seven-minute mark.
- Saunchez shoots the Pioneers first shot in the 18th minute, missing high.
- Leischner gets the Bison's first goal in the 29th minute, assisted by King.
- Manzo gets the Pioneers on the board in the 66th minute, nailing the right side of the goal from 20 yards out.
- In the 82nd minute, Bucknell drew a foul inside the box. Resulting in Zack Rockmore's penalty kick goal.
- MacPherson's shot narrowly misses the net, hitting the crossbar with three seconds left in the game.